Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2013, 10:38 PM

Dog walkers!

Who hires a dog walker for one or a few days a week?
Do you find that works for you?
How do you know who to trust?

Just mulling over some options
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2013, 10:49 PM
I used to, and still very occasionally use a dog walker. I looked for someone who was passionate about positive training methods and had experience of powerful breeds. I was recommended one by a friend and was immediately put off her when she came shrieking and bounding to the door showing me her yeti slipper boots. Completely inappropriate in my books as I was bringing her Tonks to meet and Tonks was a lovely 10 week old puppy then! She then proceeded to try to use CM type jabs on her when Tonks, quite naturally, tried or wrestle and attack the boots. Needless to say I didn't use her!

Then I found Mrs Dolittle on the internet and we met up and have been friends ever since. She has had Akitas and German shepherds....plus pugs and many other rescues, and I trust her completely.

On the flip side, I now am a dog walker and I think people trust me because they read my website and see my experience and the meet me and like me and the way I am with their dogs....I think you have to go with your gut feelings, and obviously check that they are insured.
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2013, 11:09 PM
I have a dog walker for hooch twice aweek I.m not mobile enough to walk him anymore, i found her on the internet and arranged to meet we hit it off straight away, she is mad about dogs, She only uses positive training and we see things the same way, hooch also boards with her if we go away, he loves her and his walks with his pals. She is insured and very local.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2013, 02:00 PM
I have one. Was recommended by a friend who had met her. She came for an assessment interview, for her me & dogs. She was efficient & had all checks in place, asked the right questions & dogs loved her. She is super & I am very happy with her,
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Never had a dog walker although when we got Bella I did look into one however my neighbour stepped in before I had thought about it seriously and because he works full time and is on call too as well as living alone he will not get a dog, his old GSD was PTS over a year ago and he misses the dog walking and dogs in general and the getting out. So he walks Bella depending on his shift patterns fantastic stroke of luck for all of us.
And best of all he adores and Bella adores him.

But I think I would ask around even ask at the vets, check news papers etc and talk to them check them out .
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Never had a dog walker although when we got Bella I did look into one however my neighbour stepped in before I had thought about it seriously and because he works full time and is on call too as well as living alone he will not get a dog, his old GSD was PTS over a year ago and he misses the dog walking and dogs in general and the getting out. So he walks Bella depending on his shift patterns fantastic stroke of luck for all of us.
And best of all he adores and Bella adores him.

But I think I would ask around even ask at the vets, check news papers etc and talk to them check them out .
That really did work out well for you with Bella didn't it KAZZ? More proof that it was written in the stars that you two were destined for each other!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Have to say although I sometimes recommend that people find one where their schedule makes it impossible for them to get their dog out enough, I've never wanted to use one myself but that's purely because, when I lived in South Devon (Paignton area) I used to walk my dog on the downs and other popular wide open spaces every day and regularly saw a couple of people walking dogs for a living who I wouldn't have left my dog with for five minutes.

They'd turn up in a huge van and let out about 12 dogs and set off with most of them off lead and the ones on lead getting tangled up and just basically leave the dogs to it in a place where they 'couldn't escape from or get onto the road'. Never ever saw them pick up dog poo (but appreciate how difficult that is with so many dogs all going off in different directions).

I did used to wonder how anyone could be happy letting them take their dog out but it occurred to me that the people using them probably never saw them 'in action'. They'd have keys to their house and go collect the dog and put it in the van with the others and head for the walking place. I also wondered about the poor dog collected first who had to stay in the van while they called at all the other houses to get the others?

So I'd say to anyone thinking about using a dog walker CHECK THEM OUT THOROUGHLY not just to make sure they have insurance. But try to 'see them in action'. Dogs can't talk so you won't get the info from your dog.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all the info! Just trying to work out the best plan for when I live on my own with the dog(s) and work full time!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Insurance companies only insure dog walkers to walk six dogs at a time. So far the most I've taken out together is four and one of those was Remus so he didn't count on they insurance. I mix them very carefully and only add one new dog at a time. When I get a new dog I take them out with Remus and Tonks as a tester first while I sus them out.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2013, 10:07 PM
You sound perfect... fancy moving to Scotland?

I should have arrangements for 3-4 out of the 5 days I will be out at work, so would only be needing a dog walker 1-2 days a week
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >