View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
martync1967
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-03-2008, 04:48 PM

What age to start young lurchers lamping?

what age would you start a lurcher pup lamping any ideas as ive been told loads of different things about this,my pup is five months old and has started to chase rabbits in the beam,but i dont want her to loose interest in the sport because she is so young and cant catch yet,what do you people think on this topic thanks for any replies.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 08:25 PM
There is nothing `sporting` about having a dog chase and kill wild animals
You would also run the risk of not being able to control her in full flight and ending up with her running miles, possibly ending up under a car...
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Sorry I have to agree with Patch
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by martync1967 View Post
what age would you start a lurcher pup lamping any ideas as ive been told loads of different things about this,my pup is five months old and has started to chase rabbits in the beam,but i dont want her to loose interest in the sport because she is so young and cant catch yet,what do you people think on this topic thanks for any replies.
A far as I know Lamping is illegal... that is why it is done in the dead of night. sneaking around so no one can see you.

A vile sport, freezing animals into fear based state just so you can shoot them.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Or like my BiL's lurcher.. who ran and ran and ran.. right off a cliff.. got caught in barbed wire and hung there for a while then fell.. Lovely...

There again.. this lovely pup is referred to as "it" in another of the OP's postings.. Not how I would refer to my furred friends.. they have names and genders!
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 09:23 PM
hare coursing is illegal.. but apparently rabbiting isn't, providing you have the landowners permission, according to this from Defra:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/rural/hunting/brief_guide.htm

it's only a brief guide so please point it out if i've got this wrong.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Lamping with a gun is legal providing certain conditions are adhered to. You must have the correct firearms certificatesand firearms license, for your rifle,the quarry and the ammunition you choose to use. You must also have complete permission of the landowner.

Lamping for foxes with dogs is illegal, lamping for rabbits or rats is legal.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Lamping with a gun is legal providing certain conditions are adhered to. You must have the correct firearms certificatesand firearms license, for your rifle,the quarry and the ammunition you choose to use. You must also have complete permission of the landowner.

Lamping for foxes with dogs is illegal, lamping for rabbits or rats is legal.
thanks Moonstone, was what i thought.. think i'll stick to pointing breeds!
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
thanks Moonstone, was what i thought.. think i'll stick to pointing breeds!
It is a very grey area, since hunting with dogs was banned, you can still hunt considered pests with dogs And of course you cvan hunt foxes with firearms. It is all very confusing.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
There is nothing `sporting` about having a dog chase and kill wild animals
You would also run the risk of not being able to control her in full flight and ending up with her running miles, possibly ending up under a car...
Have to agree with Patch, well said........then I'm no fan of 'sporting' and wouldn't encourage any of mine, that could also be someone little dog that it takes after and will catch
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »