View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2008, 02:20 PM
the cockerel is housed in a typical triangle shaped garden chicken run.

it has a small lock up part but i think they are left to come and go as they please in the run.

Krusewalker
This is not a commercial chicken farm but garden pets and the noise is intermittant which is the worse kind of noise. traffic/trains and a industrial estate noise is no problem, i do live VERY close to these.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2008, 02:29 PM
There is a small holding at the back of our house. I can actually hear the cockrel crowing now as I type, in fact it sounds like 2 of them answering each other. I am often still awake at 3a.m. that is when they normaly start. They are in a shed but obviously they are wearing watches. I must stress that it is not the crowing that is keeping me awake you just sort of get used to it and switch the sound off.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-01-2008, 02:37 PM
I haveto agree with heather we live by a train track and I dont hear it,yet any guests who stay report being kept awake by it,and we were when we first moved in but you get used to the sound and then dont hear it anymore xx
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2008, 03:07 PM
We had a similar problem we live in on a small estate and the neighbours opposite started raising chickens. It started crowing at 5am in the summer which then set my dogs off barking.
I know the neghbours all had a word and they got rid, not sure if they got the council involved or not. Too be honest we couldnt really get involved with the dogs
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2008, 03:22 PM
The cockerel and hens where I live are literally 15 / 20 feet away from my living room window. At first his crowing was very noticeable but now I`m so used to it I don`t really notice at all. They are in a dark roost at night and he only crows briefly in the morning when he can be bothered lol.

Years ago I used to move into a friends place when he was on holiday to look after his birds - geese, chickens, turkeys and ducks - they were never annoyingly noisy either but again they took themselves into their roosts when it got dark - they were`nt shut in but because of the free-roaming geese, [ 12 or so of them at any one time ], there were never any losses to foxes

If you have a word with the owners about the birds` accommodation to perhaps improve that and shut them in at night, [ they would rather sleep through in the dark, they don`t want to roam or be up and about when its dark anyway ], you will hopefully find it resolved to every ones satisfaction and chances are you`ll barely be aware of them at all before long
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2