View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 03:45 PM
I found a fox once hanging from his leg on a fence, he was destroyed too but at least I gave him a chance. You did the right thing.
Becky
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 03:51 PM
You both did everything you could for that poor creature and you saved her from a long and painful death dying of starvation trapped, frightened and unable to help herself. It was a sad outcome but far better than what awaited her if she hadn't been found.

Your dog's reaction to the deer - he was just being a dog and you shouldn't worry about it. His natural instinct took over but he responded to you when you told to leave which is great because you managed to override his natural instincts with your training.

Hope you get over the shock soon - and remember you did all you could to help the deer and should feel proud of yourselves.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 03:53 PM
The deer would have died a slow painful death if you hadn`t come along. You did all you could do and then more...
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Oh Mys, I can understand why your so upset, it is a tradgedy.

You such an amazing person doing everything you possibly could for the deer.

It is such a shame that the vet couldnt save her, I woulld feel the same as you.

Im really upset by reading this story also, please try to feel better soon, you did everything you could and should be proud of yourself for that.
Imagine what the poor little mite would of gone through starving to death, this is a much more humane way to let her pass away.

Healing hugs to you.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-01-2007, 05:38 PM
I can understand how upset you must be but it was probably the kindest thing in the end.You let her die with dignity otherwise she would of been cold alone and frightened and worse something may of attacked her being so vulnerable.
You both did a wonderful thing for helping.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 07:05 PM
My heart goes out to you for how upset about all this you must be feeling. Words actually fail me for once Mys. You fought so hard, your friend fought so hard, and the poor little deer fought so hard too, such a shame you couldn't have saved it, it must have been heartwrenching for you, all of it, right up to the end. I'm so so sorry this had to happen to you today. I suppose he could have come to a worse end if you'd have just left him there, so at least you gave him something, you tried your very best, it was not to be. You won't forget this for a while will you, I'm so, so sorry for you. Big hugs.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 07:23 PM
what a sad story,i'm not surprised you were so upset after trying so hard to save her. Don't feel so bad you did the best thing, she would have had an awful time if you had left her on the fence. The vet likely knew she couldnt be saved, maybe they can't survie with three legs

Oh dear i have read such sad stories on here tonight, i feel for you all and shall think about you all
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Oh Mys Reading this is heartbreaking

Both Dawn and yourself have done everything you could to help this baby, but you can only do so much. Deers don't fare very well in the wild with three legs At least she wasn't alone in her final hours and I'm sure she knew you both tried to help her.

Love and hugs to you hun xxxx
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Hi everyone - sorry I took a while but thanks to everyone that posted about 'our' little deer.

I know we probably did all that we could and that it was best for her but I think I kind of felt a bit about what happened at the vets really more than anything.

I hated that it took more than three attempts to end her life and the guy didn't just poke around her eyes he actually poked her in her eye to see her reaction and was talking about how it only took 5cc to put a different deer to sleep last week but 'this one must be more of a fighter than I'd thought' because she is taking three times that - unattached small talk.

I felt they rushed in to put her to sleep. He did such a quick check on her leg saying he knew it was beyond help because it the leg was cold but I couldn't help think well so would my leg be if I had hung upside down for god knows how long with it bleeding and in shock - the fact she had survived all the fear and took 3+ attemps to put to sleep made me feel very uneasy. I'll have no idea if more could have been done but just incase there is another time I have put numbers in my phone of other organizations that might have helped a bit more. I'm not mad at the vet but it is good to have other options which we will have if in the future.

It just all didn't seem very dignified for her and they didn't seem to show much compassion but I know it's their job. We had just bonded with her over the 2 to 3 hrs so we would have felt much stronger I know.

But thanks everyone because I was feeling really about her and your posts did all help
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2007, 02:03 PM
I've got tears streaming down my face, couldn't even finish reading to the end. I really feel for you, just remember - you did all you could for the poor little thing.

Sleep peacefully little one!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >