View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2006, 03:37 PM
If you do that I hope you know if your dog attacks anybody for WHATEVER reason, you stand to be prosecuted under the DDA and your dog destroyed.

The law states a "guard" dog must be restrained if a handler is not present, so useless really and you can be prosecuted for using your dog as a "weapon" if you incite an attack, or then again be prosecuted under the DDA for having a dog dangerously out of control.
Dawn.
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-12-2006, 06:05 PM
I agree I merely wanted to know if he had got anywhere.

The DDA like any other law is taken on each individual case, there has been numerous occassions where a family pet or trained dog has come to its owners aid and seen off an attacker or thief with no prosecution. The DDA mainly covers public places so there fore some one breaking in to your own property may not come under that law although there are numerous older laws which maybe broken in these circumstances. The DDA also deals with a dog which is dangerously out off control in a public place , a protection dog would not be out of control as it has been trained to defend its owner/ family, therefore it would be the person in charge that would have to prove self defence the same way as he would if he used a weapon to defend himself.
You are also correct with the guard dog situation, on a chain or restrained when the handler is not present which apart from the noise the dog makes isnt much of a put off to your hardened criminal.
More often than not if its a deterrant the gentleman needs then a family pet from a breed such as a GSD ,Rottie Doberman or any of these breeds known for their strength and loyalty to their family would surfice as the dogs natural instinct to protect his family would 9 times out of 10 kick in.
if an intruder was to be found within your premises.
There is a huge mine field of legal issues to consider before venturing down the protection dog route, how is the dog trained, is it licenced, when the heat is on would you be strong enough to make the dog leave when its biting some one and theres the good old Human rights act, if you set a trained dog on some one and they shout I give up you are then infringing their human rights leaving yourself open for prosecution yourself.
There is so much to consider it is hard to put down on one reply. And finally after paying out all your money on your protection trained animal, how do you know if it will work there is a world of difference from a dog being trained to bite on a padded sleeve or bite suit and a dog actually detaining some one properly wearing only a short sleeved top, a risk I wouldnt like to take with my family
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2006, 11:04 PM
I hate to say this, but criminals these days will just shoot a dog, I'd not want my dog in danger, to be honest.

It may be easier to invest in good cctv, alarms, etc as nothing will stop someone with a gun, unfortunately Sign of the times.

Wys
x
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Thats true,
My own Malinois is trained in Tactical firearms which means he is sent in to a building to look for some one with a firearm. The only link he has to me is a video camera on his head. It takes a great deal of time and effort to get the dog to learn this, and although he hasnt came up against an armed suspect yet I do have a nasty feeling in my stomach when I send him in.
All the training in the world doesnt prepare you for that.
bigdogs
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-02-2007, 09:16 PM
i have two malinois trained to (KNPV) I GOT MY FIRST DOGS(MALINOS) ABOUT 3 YRS AGO DUTCH IMPORT IF I CAN GIVE YOU ANY TIPS ON TRAINING JUST ASK I ALL SO WORK SOME DETECTION DOGS ON EXPLOSIVES AND DRUGS . I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS WORK FOR WELL OVER 20 YRS
bigdogs
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-02-2007, 09:26 PM
5dog. I Stay About 25 Mins From You Would You Like To Do Some Work With Us With Ur Malinois Is Ur Dog (sia) .licensed By The Security Industry Association ? As It Would Be Good To See Others In The Same Filed Of Work Doing There Thing With The Malinois . If U Want To Let Us Know We Are Not A Club We Work All The K9 Unit
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-02-2007, 09:53 PM
are your dogs working for a private company or for sport.
Interesting to know there still arent that many Malis around yet
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2007, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by 5dog View Post
are your dogs working for a private company or for sport.
Interesting to know there still arent that many Malis around yet

I hope there won't be in a general sense - there have already been several adult Malinois (yes, working bred! ) found by the Belgian rescue in a rescue in Lincolnshire. If I'm correct in remembering, the actual number was 5.

We really don't need these beautiful special dogs becoming popular as most people won't have a clue what to do with them.

Not trying to put a damper, but the influx of working bred Mals does have an impact on Belgians generally. We don't want them on the DDA next esp. with all the hoo ha that is going on now regarding amnesties etc .

Hope you understand what I am trying to say.

Wys
x
bigdogs
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-02-2007, 02:21 PM
I Work For A Private Company Scotland My Malinois One And Two Are Licensed By The Security Industry Association I Dont Have Any Worry About My Dogs As I Have Them 24. 7 . I Dont Do The Show Thing As Its Not For Me Thats Not To Say Its No Good Its Just Not My Thing
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-02-2007, 05:35 PM
what does a security industry licence consist of, what does the dog have to do.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >