Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2005, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by Zantababy
Thats dreadful,if a human did that to another human it would be classed as assault,why do some people think it is ok to treat a dog in that way.
cant agree more so sorry you had such a bad experience it must really have shook you up is the trainer quaified a long time ago? as I know that training methods have changed considerably in years we now know better or should do
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Unfortunately their is no higher authority to go to. There was witnesses alright, there was 9 other people in the walk up! But no one would say anything.

Without wanting it to sound to obvious who the club is, it's a national one that is highly regarded Being physical is just seen as the acceptable way to train I suppose

Amts - I would have thought that by growling at the dog it's getting a negative reinforcement for running in ? Well that's the association I would put to it, I suppose other people would just have the dummy removed whilst telling the dog 'Wrong' in a nuetral voice? How would you train a dog that runs in ? I'm open to all advice.

The unfortunate and frustrating thing with the flattie running in, is he will only do it during a walk up if the dog next to him has it's turn, he'll bolt as well. Sometimes if he's on the end of a walk up and the dog on the other end has a turn he sometimes will go, but normally by this point he'll be on the lead anyway and wont be able to go. If I'm on my own, I can throw dummies all round the place and he wont budge, he can be sitting still as well and I send the golden to go and retrieve it, the flatcoat wont move.

The flatcoat is quite ok and was happy to be round this man afterwards, the dog is quite forgiving so I'm lucky in that respect. If he was anymore sensitive, I would probably have had a nervous wreck of a dog and one that wouldnt want to retrieve at all.

When the 'correction' did happen in the class, I ran in quick smart with 'That's enough, what the **** are you doing?' OH was watching from a distance and he said he heard me so I must have yelled quite loud.

Anyway next move is what to do now, I dont know of any APDT trainers for Gundog work. or ... should I go back, and just make it clear my dog is NOT to be handled by ANYONE other than me, or just leave gundog work altogether ? The way I have been feeling since Monday is just leaving it all together ...
Willow
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-10-2005, 01:51 PM
go back and tell the trainer you are the only one to handle your dog, if it happens again then leave at least you tried to carry on with the training for your own use.
the trainer should be training you how to handle not to get involved and take over.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

06-10-2005, 08:41 PM
I agree with Leo - talk to the trainer say its not acceptable - if he dosen't listen then leave - and maybe just train them yourself or try and set up a group of like minded people and work through it together
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Dont give up gundog training because of of one trainer doing that
Even though it may be a wellrespected club doesnt mean everyone there does things your way or even the right way. All trainers are humans and has their own view on things. I would do as allready suggested; telling your trainer that what he did isnt accepted and that you train your dog a different way (explain how and what you would like from him).

On the correcting the running in. Every dog who loves working can get too excited and make a mistake. If Ally does it, I simply whistles her down, go out and put the lead on and walk her back. I dont shout, scream, jump up and down and I dont growl, tell her off, shake her, etc.
I stop the unwanted behavior and goes back to where weŽre supposed to be.

After that, I know IŽll have to keep an eye out for her. In the first place its my fault I didnt notice that she was so worked up and overexcited to go.
I useally have succes in telling her verbally to stay and then with my evil eye keep her glued to the ground.

But that said, all dogs are different. And so are us humans. If it helps to put the lead on til youŽre sure heŽll stay then do so.
I know he has to learn to stay put til you say otherwise, but too many times of him running off will set you back months of training.
Maybe try putting the lead on one time, then next time not...etc?
And also beware of how you react yourself when the lead is off. Do you get nervous? Thinking the worst will happen?(because if you do it will) Do you get distracted by paying attention to what the others are doing?

My way of training is to allways train succesfully. Not allowing the dogs to make mistakes. Built up its confidence and make sure what you ask can be done by the dog. If and when it fails, correct it fast and go back. You have about 3 seconds to make it right and after that atleast weeks of training where the same mistake cant happen.

Keep going Willow and youŽll get there
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by amts
Dont give up gundog training because of of one trainer doing that
Keep going Willow and youŽll get there
I will second that, it would be such a shame for this to put you off gundog work altogether because of one trainer, I know how you must feel about your dog being treated in this way, but like others have said have a word with your trainer and voice your concerns and how you like to go about training and why you feel his method inapproapriate. You never know he might see it your way and agree to do things how you want, you will never know unless you ask.
But if he wont change his ways then leave you have at least tried to sort this out. But you can carry on gundog training on your own look how far you have come in the last few months and how much you have enjoyed all the work, time and effort you have put in, and it has began to pay off, please dont waste this, it would be a great shame if you did
You have come too far to give up now
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2005, 03:32 PM
What happend Willow? Did you talk to the trainer??
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2