Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
patterdale fan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2005, 04:18 PM

Itchy guinea pig.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice on this. My friend has a guinea pig which has a really bad skin problem. It's scabby and bald, and obviously itchy because it makes itself bleed scratching. She did have 2 GPs, but both had this and one died last week. She's on benefits and took both guinea pigs to the PDSA. They said it was lice and gave her some lotion to use, which she is still using and was using when the other GP died. It doesn't seem to be helping. We can't see any lice crawling on the GP. Do GPs get mange because the symptoms do look similar to mange in dogs. (although I've only seen it on Animal Cops Detroit!) If PDSA thought it was mange surely they should have done a skin scraping. Also could this be the symptoms of a fungal thing or allergy. My friend has bought a new hutch in case it was something in there but that didn't help either. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-09-2005, 04:32 PM
from an experienced guinea pig person ehre there is something which is often contracted from the hay,s traw or surroundings, things like running mites etc do not be fobbed off with genetic mange we were told this but it turned out it was running mites, it is treatable if caught in time, if left to long it is often fatal, we used savlon cream it isnt toxic and they dont tend to lick it off, keep it in the warm with just torn papaer for bedding and see if this helps if not im stumped
Best wishes
Lozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Hi

A few of mine have had this and we usually take them to the vet and they get a jab which has worked in the past.I`ll get my mum to reply to this thread and tell you the details.

lv xxLauraxx
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by patterdale fan
Just wondered if anyone had any advice on this. My friend has a guinea pig which has a really bad skin problem. It's scabby and bald, and obviously itchy because it makes itself bleed scratching. She did have 2 GPs, but both had this and one died last week. She's on benefits and took both guinea pigs to the PDSA. They said it was lice and gave her some lotion to use, which she is still using and was using when the other GP died. It doesn't seem to be helping. We can't see any lice crawling on the GP. Do GPs get mange because the symptoms do look similar to mange in dogs. (although I've only seen it on Animal Cops Detroit!) If PDSA thought it was mange surely they should have done a skin scraping. Also could this be the symptoms of a fungal thing or allergy. My friend has bought a new hutch in case it was something in there but that didn't help either. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Patterdale fan,

Yes a few of our guinea pigs have had this and the only thing you can do to treat it is take it to the vets. It is called hay mite but has nothing to do with mites that you can see. They are actually on the inside of the guinea pig. The vet can give it an injection and depending how bad it is it might have to go back for another couple of times afterwards (ours did) You won't cure it by putting creams on or anything - the vet is the only answer. There used to be a green lotion that you could get from the vets years ago that you bathed the guinea pig in but our other vet told us that the government had banned it for some reason so the injection is the only way to cure it. I'm surprised that the PDSA didn't recognise hay mite because its a very common ailment in guinea pigs and very distressing for them too.
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-09-2005, 05:09 PM
Usual treatment for mites, and I suspect lice, is 3 injections of ivermectin each a week apart. This is commonly used on rabbits and I am 95% sure it is used on guinea pigs as well. I also have a feeling I read somewhere you can now buy topical ivermectin from pets at home (you may have to rummage around the mite products to find it as an active ingredient, it won't be called that), although injections is obviously less stressful overall than regular bathing. Of course the guinea pig accommodation will also need thoroughly cleaning out to remove any in the hay/straw etc and I would suggest cleaning the hutch through with an ivermectin type solution if you can get it, to kill off any of the little devils living there.

Good luck x
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-09-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by patterdale fan
yes they do get mange and my vet gave them a injection of ivomec which is used on cattle but can be used on other animals except any thing that contains border collie ask your vet about it it will need a jab every 7 days for 3 weeks and it will kill lice mange and ticks and wormes them as well hope this helps vets only use it as a lst resort so they can charge you loads of money first and then finaly they will use ivomec as it is not the dear
Anndee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2005, 01:04 PM
When I had Guinea's, a few years ago, you could buy a product called Tetmosol, from the chemist. Its a liquid that you dilute. I see on the internet, its now available as a bar of soap, but it certainly works on getting rid of the mites
patterdale fan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2005, 02:12 PM
Thanks for all the help. I've passed all the information on and my friend has an appointment at the vets (not PDSA) on Tuesday. At least now she knows what works she won't be fobbed off. Thanks again
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Ivomec is the most commonly used. and guineas commonly get sarcoptic mange - which is a form of mites - mange nad mites are the same to my knowledge - and treat as the others said with ivomec for 2-3 weeks. ie. 2-3 jabs. 3 is just a precaution but it should clear after 2 weeks.

Also - make sure they are getting LOTS of fresh vit. c food - as this COULD be scurvey as piggies can't make their own vit. c.

hth
xx
Janay15
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm not an expert on Guinea Pigs, but I would definitely recomend that your friend takes their Guinea Pig to another vet for a second opinion. Sometimes vets can get things wrong and if your friend goes to another vet, they might be able to explain the situation better and provide your friends piggie with a better treatment. Tell your friend to tell the new vet everything - make sure she brings along the cream that was given to her by the other vet so the new vet can see it and decide whever or not they think it's the ideal thing to use.

Next time you see the little thing give him/her a hug from me I'm sure he/she will be better very soon
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >