View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lollippy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-09-2005, 07:42 PM
AMTS has as always given loads of good advice, I couldn't really add anything to it, other then to say with the dummy dropping, you could try walking backwards as your dog comes towards you, bend over at the hip and lean forward, reach out with your hand and see if the dog will hold the dummy long enough for you to take it from its mouth, if you can manage that you've introduced to the dog what you want with out actually having to go through a teaching process.

On the subject of treats, it can definantly lead to a dog dropping the dummy in anticipation of a treat, but in the early days that doesn't matter so much as getting the dog near the actions you want, later you can cut down on the treats so for every 5 or 6 times the dog does what you want it gets 1 treat, this can also sharpen the dogs actions as it tries to do things faster in the hope it will get that elusive treat, gradually you can drop the treats all together.
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Sorry AM have been a busy gal, but have seen your vids now and have took some good tips from them will have to try them out Thanks and they werent embaressing, I have seen more embaressing ones of you You looked great in them and I wouldnt worry about that as im going to see you for myself anyway

Hi Lollippy
Yes Amts advice is always good but its nice to have other people join in and give advice too, and it great to see how different people train there dogs so im happy that you haved joined in.
Yes that sounds like a good idea with the dummy, he brings it to me fine its just he drops it, so that might work and I didnt think of that so will give that ago
Regarding the treats I havent used them again, think its best that i stop using them for the time being. I get what your saying but I feel that by me carrying on using them will only make it harder later on as he will keep dropping the dummy when he gets to me and then I give him a treat for doing this and therefore reinforcing actions I dont want, so when i try and tell him not to drop it, he wont understand as that is what he has been rewarded for hope that makes sense?.....but they do work im not saying they dont he brings the dummy back to me and sits to get the treat so his attention is focused, but shouldnt his attention be focused on me and not the treat?
Thanks for the advice always welcome
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2