View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Is it ok to kill other creature? Such as flies, fleas, internal parasites etc? They too have a place on this earth and purpose. But, possbly they don't have feelings so it doesn't matter?

What about other vermin such as rats? Should they all be left alone to do their own thing?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
Is it ok to kill other creature? Such as flies, fleas, internal parasites etc? They too have a place on this earth and purpose. But, possbly they don't have feelings so it doesn't matter?

What about other vermin such as rats? Should they all be left alone to do their own thing?
I hate killing anything, I have to admit - we have those sticky fly strips hanging up in our kitchen window, and I feel so sorry for them dying slowly stuck by the glue, and I refuse to use ant powder to kill the ants that undermine our block drive!

But that is me. Our dogs do not have such feelings. They are primarily carniverous, and it is their natural instinct, rightly or wrongly, to hunt, chase and kill if they can, and then eat. I choose to allow my dogs to behave naturally wherever and whenever possible, but I also expect them to humour me and be obedient and well-behaved when told to be so.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-08-2013, 07:24 AM
I once had a cat that killed rabbits, he came home covered in fleas. Makes me itchy to think about it.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Hi Does anyone remember Prince Charles,he had a Jack Russell,that went rabbiting,and got lost down one of the holes,so I think it should be a little bit larger then a terrier,there are some polish breeds but think they are in the main guarding,Not sure what breed is used to hunt foxes,but they do go into holes after the foxes they look a cross between a beagle and a blood hound so no chance of losing them.Gemini54
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2013, 07:46 AM
Hi But if you look at Buddists belief,the circle of life,you can come back as an insect,so that makes me wary of killing something, what happens if its your great uncle or a beloved relation,when possible I try and get a glass cover the insect with the glass and take it outside.Gemini54
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi Does anyone remember Prince Charles,he had a Jack Russell,that went rabbiting,and got lost down one of the holes,so I think it should be a little bit larger then a terrier,there are some polish breeds but think they are in the main guarding,Not sure what breed is used to hunt foxes,but they do go into holes after the foxes they look a cross between a beagle and a blood hound so no chance of losing them.Gemini54
Very boringly they are known as foxhounds, Gemini! they are bigger than a beagle, but smaller than a blood hound and they don't usually go down into fox holes (called "earths"). They are far too big, and in any case supposedly it is considered "very bad form" (very unsporting) to pursue a fox once it has gone to ground - gone down an earth. However, in reality that does not happen. Some hunts will send the terrier men round, with their small terriers, to flush out foxes from their earths and then block them up so that the foxes cannot return to their home. Then, when the hunt comes round the next day, the foxes have nowhere to flee to - extremely unsporting and my great uncle who was a VERY traditional and passionate fox hunting man would be turning in his grave at such unsporting and ungentlemanly behaviour.

Hunting foxes with hounds is now (supposedly) illegal, hounds are allowed to chase the fox but then a marksman shoots them.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Hi But if you look at Buddists belief,the circle of life,you can come back as an insect,so that makes me wary of killing something, what happens if its your great uncle or a beloved relation,when possible I try and get a glass cover the insect with the glass and take it outside.Gemini54
Me too Gemini. I hate to kill anything, but I have to admit to squishing large flies and bluebottles if I can - a quick and kind death - if you can get them! I won't use fly spray as it kills spiders and other beneficial insects, and I hate the sticky strips that my husband hangs up as the poor flies die slowly. I try if I can to flick them with a tea towel which stuns them, and I then squash them.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Very boringly they are known as foxhounds, Gemini! they are bigger than a beagle, but smaller than a blood hound and they don't usually go down into fox holes (called "earths"). They are far too big, and in any case supposedly it is considered "very bad form" (very unsporting) to pursue a fox once it has gone to ground - gone down an earth. However, in reality that does not happen. Some hunts will send the terrier men round, with their small terriers, to flush out foxes from their earths and then block them up so that the foxes cannot return to their home. Then, when the hunt comes round the next day, the foxes have nowhere to flee to - extremely unsporting and my great uncle who was a VERY traditional and passionate fox hunting man would be turning in his grave at such unsporting and ungentlemanly behaviour.

Hunting foxes with hounds is now (supposedly) illegal, hounds are allowed to chase the fox but then a marksman shoots them.
Hi you learn something every day,I had heard the term Earth,and was under the wrong impression that meant the dogs had earthed them out,i.e by digging.Well at least there is some care given to the fox,as again I thought that a pack just went hell for leather and pursued until the fox was killed.Not that I am a fan,and when they banned fox hunting,my first concern was what would happen to the huge packs of dogs.Gemini54
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Me too Gemini. I hate to kill anything, but I have to admit to squishing large flies and bluebottles if I can - a quick and kind death - if you can get them! I won't use fly spray as it kills spiders and other beneficial insects, and I hate the sticky strips that my husband hangs up as the poor flies die slowly. I try if I can to flick them with a tea towel which stuns them, and I then squash them.
Hi I suppose it is sensible from a hygene point of view to kill flies ect,because they could spread germs,when I worked, a few from the office would buy cakes for friday,iced danish,we were eating with gusto when one of the girls sort of shouted and as she did we could see where she had just bitten was a half of an insect still wriggling,she had swallowed the other half,on investigation it turned out to be a wasp.So always worried about bakers,but they seem now to be under control,as its rare to see wasps in bakers windows now.Thank Goodness Gemini54
pitboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-08-2013, 12:53 AM
Hi I suppose it is sensible from a hygene point of view to kill flies ect,because they could spread germs,when I worked, a few from the office would buy cakes for friday,iced danish,we were eating with gusto when one of the girls sort of shouted and as she did we could see where she had just bitten was a half of an insect still wriggling,she had swallowed the other half,on investigation it turned out to be a wasp.So always worried about bakers,but they seem now to be under control,as its rare to see wasps in bakers windows now.Thank Goodness Gemini54
Hi I whould like to know why are you talking to yourself
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >