Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malch
New Member!
Male 

24-01-2013, 10:53 AM

Proper way to get a dog.

Hello everyone,
I am most likely moving to the states within the year, NY specifically, and I don't know if can really take my dog with me, as she's bonded with my family as well. Anyway I might end up taking her with me in the end.

There is no way I can live without a dog now, so I was wondering, what is the proper way to get a purebred dog in the states?
Before you say anything, I know there are shelters and stray dogs that need to be rescued, but I always wanted to be owned by a yellow lab. I know here is Greece the right way to do it is to find a proffessional breeder, avoid pet shops and BYBs. So, yeah. How do you guys do it there?

Thanks in advance.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Maybe like here they have a Labrador rescue centre.
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2013, 06:11 PM
From what I understand, there are lots of pet shops selling puppies from puppy farms so beware. I'd say to check out a breeder and ask to see the sire too, even if it means travelling some distance.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Avoid pet shop puppies in USA as most of them will have come from puppy-mills. Do a web search for your chosen breed in USA, search SPCA or the USA Kennel Club for recommended breeders.

Good luck and have fun searching and let us know how you get on.
ceelynn
New Member!
Female 

25-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Please don't go to a breeder. There are plenty of breed specific rescues in the States. Here is one example: http://labs4rescue.com/index.shtml
Malch
New Member!
Male 

25-01-2013, 10:57 AM
I do understand that there are dogs that need to be rescued, hey my current dog was in a shelter before I got her... Probably my mistake that I didn't mention it in the original post. Nothing is set in stone yet, maybe I'll take Phoebe with me, maybe I'll adopt a stray, maybe I'll go to a breeder, maybe a shelter. My question was mainly out of curiosity, what steps should one take if they want a pedigree company dog(Not show quality)?
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Hi Malch,

This is a UK based forum (with predominantly UK based members). For the ins and outs of breeding/purchasing/american pedigrees in America, you might be better off posting on a US forum. Good luck with whatever decisions you make.
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2013, 11:52 AM
PS why wouldn't you take your existing dog with you btw?
Malch
New Member!
Male 

25-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the replies you've all been quite helpful. Also I explained earlier that Phobe is also bonded with my family, as I am living with them for now, and they love her too. I am thinking this through if it's the best idea to take her with me when I leave.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2013, 08:05 PM
please try and rescue a shelter dog! - My friend volunteers at a rescue shelter just outside of NY and often have in labs (and lab mixes)
Many people go to buying a little puppy, which is fine but america does have a very serious shelter problem with millions of dogs (including pure bred dogs) being put to sleep as there are not enough homes for them all. - Please do try and adopt, perhaps visit a few shelters and you might be surprised with what they have to offer.

This is just one of *dozens maybe even more* rescues in and around NY. Just looked and they have some truly gorgeous looking lab mixes. - Now im in love with a pretty white one named Amber....

http://www.ny-petrescue.org/dogs.php
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >