Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Odd that, that people get 'dressed up', use horns etc just to exercise their dogs. Not to mention being followed and filmed by animal rights groups

The footage says otherwise Chloe - the fox was clearly exhausted. That suggests he didn't just 'pop out of nowhere'.

It is besides the point anyway, even if it was an 'accident', their actions led to it occurring, and demonstrate it is likely to occur again and again in those circumstances. Hounds will do what's in their instinct - and these people put them in that position knowing full well what may happen.
They are on a drag hunt. That's why they are dressed, and the cameras are following. It's more or less the norm now for cameras to follow hunts.

The footage doesn't suggest otherwise. If you watch the hounds are milling about that area, they aren't hunting and they aren't speaking. They weren't on the scent of that fox. And that fox didn't look tired to me.

Yes hounds do follow their instincts and sometimes accidents happen. Which is also why you're meant to have people with a gun aswell.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

25-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
They are on a drag hunt. That's why they are dressed, and the cameras are following. It's more or less the norm now for cameras to follow hunts.

The footage doesn't suggest otherwise. If you watch the hounds are milling about that area, they aren't hunting and they aren't speaking. They weren't on the scent of that fox. And that fox didn't look tired to me.

Yes hounds do follow their instincts and sometimes accidents happen. Which is also why you're meant to have people with a gun aswell.
It didn't look like a drag hunt to me:

Drag hunting emphasises the thrill of riding at speed in a natural environment, and tends to follow a relatively straightforward course, allowing for considerable speed, over well-marked obstacles designed or selected with the safety of horse and rider in mind.
They were pretty stationery in that footage.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2012, 09:29 PM
It didn't look like a drag hunt to me:

They were pretty stationery in that footage.
You can copy and paste all you like, but until you've been on a hunt there's no point arguing. I go every week without fail. There are number of reasons why in the 4 munutes of that whole hunt they are still. The hunt could be just starting or just beginning. The hounds arent on a scent, you don't run your horse ragged when you aren't following a scent. When you're out for a few hours at a time, you don't keep at a high speed all the time.
The fact the hounds weren't even speaking on a scent shows they weren't hunting at that moment. Judging on the area they are in it is extremely likely that fox was hidden under something and got flushed out.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Azz, there could be many reasons why they are stationary. It could be bad day for scent, they could be waiting for 2nd horses, just stopped for a breather or it's just the beginning of the meet.

I wasn't there, there for cannot pass judgement as to whether the fox was flushed intentionally, but as the hounds aren't speaking, then they probably weren't on the scent of the fox.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2012, 09:43 PM
This is what happened. ...How anyone could be involved in anything so barbaric is beyond me

A young vixen owes her life to the quick thinking and courage of a hunt monitor who literally dived in and grabbed her from amongst the hounds that were just about to maul her to death..

The young woman was out monitoring the Old Berks Fox Hounds last Wednesday, 14th November. The Hunt met at Elmwood House, Black Bourton in Oxfordshire. Not long after the hunt moved off , the Huntsman sent the hound pack into woodland and thick undergrowth.

Just after 11.30 am, the hounds found the fox in scrub next to large slurry tanks on the edge of a farm.

Fortunately for the fox, her "guardian angel" was only feet away. With no thought for her own safety, the monitor shouted at the hounds as they closed in on the fox, and running forward, was able to snatch the terrified animal. She then scooped her up, away from amongst the hounds, which would in moments have undoubtedly torn the young animal to pieces. The fox had already been bowled over onto her back, leaving her stomach exposed.

Despite having been bitten by the terrified fox, the monitor hurried the traumatised animal away, cradled in her arms, whilst her colleague, who filmed the whole incident, called for help.

Being followed by a Hunt participant, they reached a fellow monitor’s car and the fox was then driven away to safety. She was checked for injuries, and thanks to the monitor’s lightening reactions, was found to have no serious bites.

The fox’s rescuer (who wishes to remain anonymous) said of her actions:-

“I just reacted. I couldn’t leave the poor little thing to be torn apart by the dogs. But it was worth all the pain and stress and I would do it all again in a heartbeat. I feel privileged to have been able to rescue her. Words cannot express my contempt for people who terrify and kill defenceless wild animals."

The fox has now been rehabilitated into an area where she will be safe from the hunt.

The footage clearly shows that when the hounds reach the fox, there is no "quick nip to the back of the neck", as claimed by hunters, a claim always disputed by post mortem evidence of foxes killed by hounds.

The incident has been reported to the

http://nwhsa.wordpress.com/2012/11/2...-berks-hounds/
Azz
Administrator
Male 

25-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Noushka05 View Post
This is what happened. ...How anyone could be involved in anything so barbaric is beyond me

A young vixen owes her life to the quick thinking and courage of a hunt monitor who literally dived in and grabbed her from amongst the hounds that were just about to maul her to death..

The young woman was out monitoring the Old Berks Fox Hounds last Wednesday, 14th November. The Hunt met at Elmwood House, Black Bourton in Oxfordshire. Not long after the hunt moved off , the Huntsman sent the hound pack into woodland and thick undergrowth.

Just after 11.30 am, the hounds found the fox in scrub next to large slurry tanks on the edge of a farm.

Fortunately for the fox, her "guardian angel" was only feet away. With no thought for her own safety, the monitor shouted at the hounds as they closed in on the fox, and running forward, was able to snatch the terrified animal. She then scooped her up, away from amongst the hounds, which would in moments have undoubtedly torn the young animal to pieces. The fox had already been bowled over onto her back, leaving her stomach exposed.

Despite having been bitten by the terrified fox, the monitor hurried the traumatised animal away, cradled in her arms, whilst her colleague, who filmed the whole incident, called for help.

Being followed by a Hunt participant, they reached a fellow monitor’s car and the fox was then driven away to safety. She was checked for injuries, and thanks to the monitor’s lightening reactions, was found to have no serious bites.

“I just reacted. I couldn’t leave the poor little thing to be torn apart by the dogs. But it was worth all the pain and stress and I would do it all again in a heartbeat. I feel privileged to have been able to rescue her. Words cannot express my contempt for people who terrify and kill defenceless wild animals."

The fox has now been rehabilitated into an area where she will be safe from the hunt.

The footage clearly shows that when the hounds reach the fox, there is no "quick nip to the back of the neck", as claimed by hunters, a claim always disputed by post mortem evidence of foxes killed by hounds.

Thanks for posting that and clearing things up Jo. I am glad it has been reported to the RSPCA, and hope they act on it.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Noushka05 View Post

I'm so glad the fox was not seriously hurt - thanks to that lady - and released somewhere safe. Thank you for letting us know.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks for posting that and clearing things up Jo. I am glad it has been reported to the RSPCA, and hope they act on it.
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I'm so glad the fox was not seriously hurt - thanks to that lady - and released somewhere safe. Thank you for letting us know.
No problem
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2012, 04:14 AM
With respect people Foxes do act like this. They do have an open mouth, they do throw themselves all over the floor. Do any of you REALLY think those Hounds were "hunting?" seriously? They were pretty rubbish at it werent they? I mean a pack of Hounds just moving out of the way for some lunatic to pick up the Fox!!!

Its also wonderful to see that one of these such caring people had the thinking to film it. THAT was brave if you ask me and the only thing that was. Having the guts to stand there and film it. How bloody cold is that!

Foxes DO just pop out of nowhere, of course they do! They are all over the place. Anything likely to disturb them will make them take off. Therefore if the hounds pick up that scent or see the Fox they will give chase. Much ike a pet dog would too!
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
With respect people Foxes do act like this. They do have an open mouth, they do throw themselves all over the floor. Do any of you REALLY think those Hounds were "hunting?" seriously? They were pretty rubbish at it werent they? I mean a pack of Hounds just moving out of the way for some lunatic to pick up the Fox!!!

Its also wonderful to see that one of these such caring people had the thinking to film it. THAT was brave if you ask me and the only thing that was. Having the guts to stand there and film it. How bloody cold is that!

Foxes DO just pop out of nowhere, of course they do! They are all over the place. Anything likely to disturb them will make them take off. Therefore if the hounds pick up that scent or see the Fox they will give chase. Much ike a pet dog would too!
Of course they were hunting. They looked like young hounds out Autumn hunting (or Cubbing as it use to be called before the ban! ) this is how the hunt develop the hounds hunting skills to kill foxes, & the fox is clearly one of this years youngsters.

You think the Hunt monitors filming are 'cold' oh dear.

Since the ban hunts are 'supposed' to lay a trail for hounds to follow, foxes, i believe, can now only be flushed out ( to the guns!) with 2 hounds or a hawk...The hunt no doubt will claim it was an 'accident' ...they always do!

Page 3 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »