Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 09:52 AM

Schutzhund

Is it just pedigree dogs that can do ir, if so can any breed do it or is it just breeds that were designed for it?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Sch is not a KC sanctioned sport in Australia, therefore dogs competing do not have to be KC registered. I do not know the UK requirements.

Sch was developed specifically for the GSD, but many other breeds take part, e.g. Boxer, Dobermann, Rottweiler, Giant Schnauzer, Airedale Terrier, Bouvier Des Flandres, Hovawart, Belgian Shepherd (Groendael, Malinois, Tervueren, Laekenois), etc.

Any dog undergoing training must have the correct temperament and appropriatetly strong drive.
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Do you know where i could find out about a local place that runs a training group for it? Id be intrested in trying it with my border collie.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

24-07-2005, 12:02 AM
The British Schutzhund Association might be able to advise you; http://www.schutzhund.fsnet.co.uk/
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 12:24 AM
BCL - you might find border collies don't have the right temperament in general for SchH, but that said it's always worth investigating, just in case. As SB says, the association is the right place to start, and if you're still interested, go along to a club and observe - it's certainly not for everyone
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 12:43 AM
Just wondering, what is Schutzhund? Is it like Tracking?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

24-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by Archaeopath
BCL - you might find border collies don't have the right temperament in general for SchH, but that said it's always worth investigating, just in case. As SB says, the association is the right place to start, and if you're still interested, go along to a club and observe - it's certainly not for everyone
Thanks Becs. I was going to edit my post to mention that I would be surprised if the temperament of the BC would be suited. I would imagine that it would lack the 'nerve' and the arrested prey drive would not help.
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
Just wondering, what is Schutzhund? Is it like Tracking?
Hiya, Schutzhund is a protection sport for dogs. It started out as a general test of temperament for working dogs and as a sport there are three levels - SchH 1, 2 and 3.

Here's a link that can explain it better than I can: BSA Intro to SchH

Becs
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by Archaeopath
Hiya, Schutzhund is a protection sport for dogs. It started out as a general test of temperament for working dogs and as a sport there are three levels - SchH 1, 2 and 3.

Here's a link that can explain it better than I can: BSA Intro to SchH

Becs
Thanks, very interesting reading!
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Technically any breed can do SchH, but it depends enormously on the character of the individual dog. Earlier (some 20-30 odd years ago) training for Schutz was very very hard on the dog, and thus most breeds that didn't have the mental strength to stand up to the hard difficult training were deemed as weak and not having proper character. But now the methods used are mostly play driven, and there is (usually) no hard feelings between the helper and dog afterwards. Though the pressure put on the dog is still high, and it takes a strong character to hold up to that.

One of the best SchH dogs I've seen was a.........Standard Poodle that dog had serious drive. I've also seen BCs working SchH, many Berneses, all types of mixes (even a GoldenXLab once, if you can believe it), I've even heard of a wild little Corgi working her way up in America. And it would be wonderful to start up with Tam. And you can also get exceptions with the traditional protection breeds, I've seen Dobies & Rotties that couldn't do any type of protection work at all

So really, its up to the individual handler and dog in every breed. I'd agree ith Becs, go and watch a few classes and visit one or 2 trials. The bug can bite you and maybe you'll be addicted before you know it :d and then again, maybe you'll decide its not for you and your dog And good luck.