Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It was like watching paint dry........................
LOL, ok.....
Blitzen
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2011, 05:46 PM
As a general rule, you can't compare the working ability of a working line and a show line gsd. There are some show line gsds with decent drive. Working lines are bred to work and that is what they excel at, show lines are bred for the show ring, so it stands to reason that they cannot hold their own against the working lines in WT.

It would be like putting a working line in the show ring and expect them to hold their own against the show lines. . .

. . . though in my eyes, the working lines look better too!
Kizzy24
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Show lines lack courage, strong nerve, drive and stamina all of which I think are needed to work a dog in trials especially in the higher stakes. You don't see many in trials as they are pretty recent in coming over here and many people in working trials have turned to collies or working labs due to the state of showlines today.
Most working line GSD's are in Schutzhund,Police or Security homes but if people in trials started to look at the working line ones I think they'd take over trials like it was years ago and out do the collie.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 06:30 PM
My last attempt at this dogs breeding SB was it a Jassuetter(sp) bitch I am prepared to be wrong again
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
My last attempt at this dogs breeding SB was it a Jassuetter(sp) bitch I am prepared to be wrong again

That is the affix yes!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Kizzy24 View Post
Most working line GSD's are in Schutzhund,Police or Security homes but if people in trials started to look at the working line ones I think they'd take over trials like it was years ago and out do the collie.
There are several of us who have working line GSDs in WT!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Kizzy24 View Post
Show lines lack courage, strong nerve, drive and stamina all of which I think are needed to work a dog in trials especially in the higher stakes. You don't see many in trials as they are pretty recent in coming over here and many people in working trials have turned to collies or working labs due to the state of showlines today.
That is some generalisation!

The trainer I used to go to for WT training with my GSD had two showline (Conbhairean) GSDs and his dogs had plenty of courage, strong nerve, drive and stamina. He also worked a workline and his showlines gave her a run for her money.

I know this is only one example, but I don't think you can possibly say that NO showline dogs have what it takes to compete in working trials.

It stands to reason that the working lines, that have been bred purely for work, will have more drive ... but I don't think it is a true statement that showlines can't compete.
Kizzy24
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2011, 09:53 PM
No I should of explained a bit better sorry.

There are very few showline dogs out there who have all the required traits I feel for working trials. There will be some out there obviously as there are working line ones that haven't got any work in them but it is an extreme risk to take when purchasing one especially a puppy from showline parentage.

It is always a risk with any puppy from a litter that it will have the desired qualities but the main and important difference is that the working line litter was purposely bred for work so these qualities in the dam and sire are taken into account by the breeder. Where as showline are bred for show ring and pet homes so no consideration is taken into account for working ability.

I have seen showlines with ball drive that is really high....I have seen good muscle tone and stamina in some too....I have also seen good strong confident defense drive in 1 maybe 2 if im generous but never have I seen all these traits in the one dog...I am still waiting and open to viewing such dogs as I do really like black and tans. The only ones I have seen with these traits have been walking cross legged and limping with such bad hip and elbow dysplasia but I see these more as back yard bred Shepherds not neccessarily true showline.

Im sure abroad in Germany and Hungary there are much better dogs out there that do well in showing and work but I'm yet to see it in this country.

My 4year old showline who I adore to bits out of all my dogs coz of her personality I would never breed from or label as half a working dog has a fair amount of prey drive and will do full bitesuit legs, arms, biceps, triceps you name it...but its all fun....she has no defense or courage so if a situation arose where she was unsure...I know what she would do
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2011, 04:49 AM
However for Working Trials, no defence or courage is actually required!

Unless you do PD. And it is the small minority of triallists that do PD and, as it is merely a "game" and not a test for breeding purposes like Schutzhund, the level of drive, courage, prey drive etc needed for the latter is not necessary!

But that is only my opinion..................
Blitzen
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-10-2011, 08:47 AM
I have also noticed a difference in 'willingness to work with the handler' between some showlines and working lines, but it is merely anecdotal. From what I have seen, I think that some showlines lack this willingness, natural biddability, tractability, or whatever you want to call it. I think it is true to say that most worklines have this bred into them?
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »