View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Youngstevie and louise there the things Im wondering how she will afford she is horse experienced so surely she should be wondering more then me how shes gonna afford this? Also after the spaniel thing incase anyones wondering the only thing that families done is one of the kids had the responsibilty of playing with my dogs in my living room when I was there, I dont like their attitude once I started getting to know then I decided my dogs are too good for them but although they've saved up, fron what you've said, and what I thought what they've got wont pay for a horse and its upkeep for very long...
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Child benefit should be used to help pay for the childs up keep, NOT to finance a luxurious lifestyle!

And a horse is definitely a luxury my hard working parents could not afford when I was little.
I agree. A horse is hardly essential for survival.

If you want something luxurious, you work hard for it and pay for it yourself.
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 11:37 PM
I wouldn't exactly call a horse a luxury. I would call them hard work and expensive

I had horses all my life until recently. From being 11 years old until this year had 1, 2 or 3 horses.

Cost I think is very difficult to say. It really depends on the horse itself and where, how it is kept. With your own land, horse living out and already got all the tack etc costs can be kept to a minimum other than the obvious farrier, worming etc. A stabled horse kept in livery with everything to pay for is completely different.

If this person is experienced with horses hopefully she will know what to expect and have put alot of thought into it.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I wonder how people on benefits can afford a dog even as they cost so much and it is hard to manage when you are on a low income and benefits aren't designed for "luxuries" such as pets, only for everyday basic living expenses.

No, I don't consider my dog to be a luxury but an essential but this is how the government thinks.

My friend is on benefits and she has a GSD x Irish Wolfhound and my husband and I both work and we couldn't afford food or vet bills for a dog this size. She must have to make a lot of sacrifices.
I got Teagan when I was on benefits - I saved up for her and all the things I would need.
I'm back on benefits now, and have had to pay all her vets bills in the past year as insurance wouldn't pay out - so far over a grand since September.
Again - I save up my money!
I don't drink, don't smoke, don't go out anywhere. She is fed what I think is a decent food.
But I wouoldn't say I make a lot of sacrifices!
We live comfortably, I have my own house, and a car.
OH and I both have new computers and subscriptions to games, we have 2 big TV's, have holidays etc.
But we save the spare money left over from our benefits to pay for everything.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 07:38 AM
I`ve been on benefits. I`ve been self employed. I`ve been employed. I`m now on a pension.
Along the way I`ve always found some interested soul to criticise my way of life.
I`ve no idea why ... I don`t really have the time or energy to worry about what other people spend their money on.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`ve been on benefits. I`ve been self employed. I`ve been employed. I`m now on a pension.
Along the way I`ve always found some interested soul to criticise my way of life.
I`ve no idea why ... I don`t really have the time or energy to worry about what other people spend their money on.
Good post, agree entirely.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well as has already been pointed out, EVERYONE is entitled to child benefit, it is not means tested.

Not all people on benefits are layabouts!

No they are not, but many are, many see benifits as a way of life, pop put another child and you get a bigger house, pop out another one and you get more money.

I have a problem with people defrauding the tax payer by claiming benefits to which they are not entitled.

But as I do not KNOW this for a fact in this particular case, I am merely pointing out that one can a) live very well if you choose to on very little money and b) that not all benefit claimants are layabouts and c) there is no law about how many children anyone has and d) there is no reason to suppose that one cannot afford a horse when on benefits if certain criteria are met.
The whole point of benifits is to help those in need when they need it, its not there for someone who never intends to do a days work in their lives , pops out kids here and there and then rubs "tax payers noses in the dirt\ by owning expensive animals that cost more than a OAP gets a week to live in.

The problem is NOT illegally claiming benifits, but the system as a whole, it doesn't rub up well for those who have to work to save to buy a luxury now and again, or go on a holiday, when one sees others (on benifits) doing these things.

Keeping a horse is expensive, even those who do it on a shoe string will have monthly costs over £100 (and I am being very conservative) , the system is to help people not allow them to save 100`s of pounds by scrimping and saving for luxuries, if they can do that, they are getting to much benifits.

Lets not forget the plasma TV`s, the new cars, the washing machines, tumble dryers, holidays , and so on and so on, they all seem to have, many on benifits live a lucrative life, and sadly it then tarrs many others who are scrimping by .

There seems to be a two tier system with benifits, those who are genuinely in need and have to fight for every last penny ,and those who live a lifestyle now all the tricks and seem to live better lifestyles then many a person who is earning.

That smy rant about the benifit system, I could go on a lot more but wont.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
No they are not, but many are, many see benifits as a way of life, pop put another child and you get a bigger house, pop out another one and you get more money.

That is like saying many dog owners are irresponsible, never clean up after their dogs, let their dogs molest other dogs, and are untrained.

The whole point of benifits is to help those in need when they need it, its not there for someone who never intends to do a days work in their lives , pops out kids here and there and then rubs "tax payers noses in the dirt\ by owning expensive animals that cost more than a OAP gets a week to live in.

Nobody has any idea what this horse would cost (if anything) maybe it is a gift, maybe there is existing tack, maybe lots of things.

The problem is NOT illegally claiming benifits, but the system as a whole, it doesn't rub up well for those who have to work to save to buy a luxury now and again, or go on a holiday, when one sees others (on benifits) doing these things.

Well you can spend your whole life focusing on the unfairness of life and how others are better off than you, or you can just get on with your life and shrug your shoulders and say that's life.

I prefer to spend my energy on more productive channels!

Keeping a horse is expensive, even those who do it on a shoe string will have monthly costs over £100 (and I am being very conservative) , the system is to help people not allow them to save 100`s of pounds by scrimping and saving for luxuries, if they can do that, they are getting to much benifits.

I am perfectly well aware of the costs of keeping horses if people can save by using their noddle AND by legally claiming benefits to which they are entitled, good luck to them.

Lets not forget the plasma TV`s, the new cars, the washing machines, tumble dryers, holidays , and so on and so on, they all seem to have, many on benifits live a lucrative life, and sadly it then tarrs many others who are scrimping by .

So what if they do? If they choose to spend their money on these things and they have the money to do so that is THEIR choice and their RIGHT.

There seems to be a two tier system with benifits, those who are genuinely in need and have to fight for every last penny ,and those who live a lifestyle now all the tricks and seem to live better lifestyles then many a person who is earning.

So maybe those of us who are earning ought to educate ourselves?

That smy rant about the benifit system, I could go on a lot more but wont.
the benefit system may not be perfect but that is no reason to slag off individuals who are merely claiming what they are entitled to.

I think THAT is very unfair especially as NOBODY knows the finances of another household, although that does not stop people having opinions of course!

A strong smell of sour grapes is pervading this thread!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-07-2011, 08:32 AM
the benefit system may not be perfect but that is no reason to slag off individuals who are merely claiming what they are entitled to.

I think THAT is very unfair especially as NOBODY knows the finances of another household, although that does not stop people having opinions of course!

A strong smell of sour grapes is pervading this thread!:roll:
No, I think a strong smell of realism is pervading here.

You are right though the benefit system is not perfect, it needs a radical shake up!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I got Teagan when I was on benefits - I saved up for her and all the things I would need.
I'm back on benefits now, and have had to pay all her vets bills in the past year as insurance wouldn't pay out - so far over a grand since September.
Again - I save up my money!
I don't drink, don't smoke, don't go out anywhere. She is fed what I think is a decent food.
But I wouoldn't say I make a lot of sacrifices!
We live comfortably, I have my own house, and a car.
OH and I both have new computers and subscriptions to games, we have 2 big TV's, have holidays etc.
But we save the spare money left over from our benefits to pay for everything.
yes, but you're on benefits because you CAN'T work Maybe you're one of the few who actually deserves it.
Page 5 of 19 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »