Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2011, 10:14 PM

Some advise please

charlie my weim cross springer is acting really strange in the evenings hes nearly 8 years old and for the last couple of months around about 6pm hes acting oddly. no problem whatsoever during the day and nothing has changed at all in his routine.
at about 6 ish he goes out to do his business does it and just sits there shaking i lit. have to drag him back in. he will then follow me around not leaving me alone and when i sit he tries to sit on my lap (hes just under a size of a weim!!) .in the end i have to put him to bed as i cant do anything without him being under my feet, the other 3 are ok and like i say hes eating well,drinking normally and no problem when going out this just happens in the evening.
any suggestions please?
Ravenwood
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Is his eyesight ok? Do you think his behaviour coincides with the time it starts to get dark?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Is it always after he's pooped? Could he have stomach pains?

Just a thought.

Why don't you take him to the vet for a check up? Just to rule out a physical cause for the problem.

Best wishes.
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Two sensitive breeds there in one package.Perhaps something frightened him in the garden at that time the time this started that you didn't see.Something has set him off and rather than worry about what it was start looking for a cure.Reassurance for a start,a change in time or place for evening poop,stay with him when he goes so he knows all is safe?Getting annoyed with him/dragging him in is reinforcing the fear reaction.Above all don't play to his fear,go with him,speak brightly,show him there's nothing to worry about - see?YOU'RE not worried.Occular disfunction isn't unusual in springers.It may be worth getting his eyes checked,think of the fun you can have choosing the frames for his specs!
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-02-2011, 08:15 AM
lolspec savers!! he doesnt always go outside to poo just sometimes goes out there and sits down! but i have to drag him back in cos think the shaking is that hes cold! oh and he never goes outside when its raining just follows me around and wants to sit on my lap!no stomache pains hes as reg as clockwork have never had a problem with his toileting think its more a case of mental rather than anything else cos when i get a biscuit out of the box hes like backto normnal bright jumping tail wagging,
i think if it was something in the garden he would want to come straight back in not sit there and ignore me not to come in
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 09:37 AM
HPRs are sensitive creatures and sometimes get the wrong end of the stick. Who knows what goes on in that doggy brain.
However, you can`t read his mind and would like to change the behaviour so why not call him back in and make another little routine for him of having a biscuit and settling for a snooze somewhere warm.