Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 09:12 AM

Is "Lamping" Legal??

Anyone know please?? It's going on every night across the road from me, from 11.30pm to 1.30 am. and I can't seem to find out whether it's legal or not on Google?

Surely a farmer wouldn't shoot vermin every other night until 1.30 am in the morning when he's got to get up early???!!!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 09:14 AM
lamping for rabbits is legal as they are not covered under the hunt ban. I doubt it will be the farmer either its more likely to be a local guy asked to help out with control. They may also be using lurchers as my brother in law does this for his local farmers. He also manages there land with there permission and lets others work the fields too.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks Razcox. The difference here is, the police are supposed to be informed of whenever they are doing this, but they haven't!

What got me thinking is I've seen badgers and foxes, laid against the roadside in front of this particular field where I've seen the lights of a nightime, and these animals are completely INTACT, i.e. no roadkill signs, no blood, and then what with the shootings going on I've put two and two together! It is illegal to shoot badgers I do know that, not so sure about foxes if it IS the farmer though.

When you google it seems to be illegal on some police websites I've seen though? Don't laugh but the policewoman I spoke to doesn't actually KNOW, apart from the fact that they have to be informed, and in this instance they haven't!

Thanks for the info.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 09:34 AM
I find it disgusting. Anyhow, personal views aside, although legal if given permission by the land owner, here are some guideliness:
http://www.basc.org.uk/en/codes-of-practice/lamping.cfm
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thanks Razcox. The difference here is, the police are supposed to be informed of whenever they are doing this, but they haven't!

What got me thinking is I've seen badgers and foxes, laid against the roadside in front of this particular field where I've seen the lights of a nightime, and these animals are completely INTACT, i.e. no roadkill signs, no blood, and then what with the shootings going on I've put two and two together! It is illegal to shoot badgers I do know that, not so sure about foxes if it IS the farmer though.

When you google it seems to be illegal on some police websites I've seen though? Don't laugh but the policewoman I spoke to doesn't actually KNOW, apart from the fact that they have to be informed, and in this instance they haven't!

Thanks for the info.
I think I would be taking this further if I were you Helen. It doesn't sound like 'control' of rabbits etc
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 09:38 AM
The badger thing does happen i have seen it around here too, there is one bit of road where there are always dead badgers. One guy once was bragging about the fact they got around the law by making it look like they had been run over

Foxes can be shot though this is perfectly legal with the landowners permisson.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 09:38 AM
So do I werewolf, and that's very informative that link, thanks!!! It clearly states that the police HAVE to be informed and local residents, neither of us have, hmmmm, me thinks me smells a rat!!!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 09:41 AM
So do I werewolf, and that's very informative that link, thanks!!! It clearly states that the police HAVE to be informed and local residents, neither of us have, hmmmm, me thinks me smells a rat!!!
Goodluck, I hate it when people do things like that. Legal 'control' is one thing, (whether one agrees with it or not) but mindless killing , just to fulfill blood thirsty lust is absolutely disgusting and dispicable and can put the general pulic at risk
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Anyone know please?? It's going on every night across the road from me, from 11.30pm to 1.30 am. and I can't seem to find out whether it's legal or not on Google?

Surely a farmer wouldn't shoot vermin every other night until 1.30 am in the morning when he's got to get up early???!!!
Yes, perfectly legal with land owners permission. Rabbits are always lamped at night, hence the "lamp"
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the info.
Lamping badgers, are you serious? Lamping Foxes is legal too, but would be shot rather than caught with a dog, Rabbits are lamped with dogs, returned UNHARMED and dispatched humanely.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »