View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-04-2010, 02:09 PM

If someone was beating their dog - would you report them?

Inspired by another thread that has now been closed, if you found that someone you know was beating or mistreating their dog... would you report them? Or have a word with them? Or do something else?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 02:17 PM
i would say yes, however i have found that the RSPCA doesnt really seem to do a fat lot.

i reported a man who i knew, that kept his collie tied on a chain in the garden and used to beat it regularly with a stick, or whatever he could get hold of really. the dog was dirty and matted and was clearly in need of a hug

the RSPCA went, and didnt do a thing! they said because the dog had a bowl of food and water next to the kennel (it was permenantly chained to) there was nothing they could do because the animal it had food and water.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Yes I would no hesitation at all. Animal and child abuse is the lowest of the low.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 02:20 PM
I have never been under the situation so can only talk in hindsight... having seen the result of beaten dogs go through rescue, many fatalities, and seeing my friend's dogs have regular fits due to a past head inury through beatings Yes I'm pretty sure I would report them, I could not sleep at night, and would have nightmares. If anything happened to the dog I would never forgive myself.

My lazy slob neighbours NEVER walk their GSD and leave it alone when they go on holidays I reported them.
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Id def say something if I saw it .. and report it
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 02:26 PM
To right I would.

If the rspca did nothing, then I'd make sure that the poor dog *disappears*, off to somewhere it'll be cared for and loved.

I can't understand how anyone could not do all in their power, difficult as it maybe, to get a dog or other animal out of that situation. Its cowardess of the highest order imo.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Yes, I would never tolerate it and would take matters into my own hands if I deemed the situation to be severe enough as the RSPCA are more often than not, a joke.

And you lot know I would.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 02:37 PM
In all honesty it would depend who it was/where it was etc.

If I rang the local dog wardens/RSPCA and said I'd seen someone beat their dog whilst out walking, realistically, what could they do? I might have a description of both the walker and dog, but I suspect the authorities couldn't/wouldn't do anything.

It would depend who was walking the dog as to whether I said anything to them - call me a coward, but if I see a huge 6ft something bloke beating the crap out of his dog, I'd probably be too scared to say anything to his face.

And, truthfully, I'm not sure I could 'engineer' a dog away from it's owners unless they were willing to give the dog up.
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2010, 02:45 PM
i would first try to have a word with them and see how they reacted if that didn't work i would report them yes
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Depends on the situation for me.

I don't agree with the way several of our neighbours kee their dogs but I know they're not abused physically and are well fed. I'd sometimes love to report them but I know there is little the authorities could do as the dogs are being fed and are provided warm shelter and at the end of the day I still have to live near these people for the foreseeable future and any conflicts we get into woukd definitely not be pleasant and I don't want to have to declare disputes when selling my house.

If the situation was incredibly bad then yes I probably would say something but I would approach the person with advice before I straight out reported them.

I personally have enough issues myself without getting involved with other peoples.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »