Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 09:20 PM

How did you choose?

How did you choose your breed of dog(s) and for what reason(s) did you choose that particular breed?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 09:38 PM
It was kind of chosen for me....
Mum got me a rescue collie when I was 8...we did all the junior stuff together (the majority of which we both disliked...)
She was a cow, who hated the other dogs (unless they were moving and she could herd them), stole as soon as she thought you were not looking, could not be contained by any form of being tied up and even fully grown could get through th cat flap the JRT could not!

....and I adored her...

I think Mum has regretting it ever since!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 09:45 PM
oh tassle, she is gorgeous! and i love what you wrote about her

i have never had to pick a breed... both mine have been crossbreeds, and rescues... think they more chose me ... jake definitely did and i prefer it that way.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Tassle, lovely

I never had a dog until Ben.
The above foto is my mum with my gran and grandad and Skip
Skip was got when mum was 8 and he was still alive when I was a kid
He was where my love of dogs started, even without remembering him properly I have always wanted a mainly black collie cross
Then all my childhood dogs I bonded with were collies or collie crosses of some kind - and I loved the famous five on the TV

I just dont feel it for other dogs, I like them I just dont want one but the look in the eyes of a collie Ben and Mia do it, sometimes I look at them and it wouldnt shock me at all if they just opend their mouthes and spoke to me
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Labs: very easy, adaptable, intelligent, laid back, take everything in their stride, afraid of nothing...for me they are the canine all rounder, that's why I like um'.

Yorkies: not my choice of breed admittedly, as I didn't technically choose her, but I just adore her!

Slovaks: wanted another gundog breed, something a bit different (a more unusual breed), wanted a very active dog, wanted a very striking looking dog (lean, athletic, beautiful fluffy face; of course I'm biased!), wanted a dog to eventually do agility with (my Lab isn't up for anything that involves moving faster than trotting pace )...the Slovak ticked all those boxes.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 10:19 PM
well......i'd always wanted a BIG dog and whilst puppy walking for GDBA i was introduced to the Leonberger. WOW i fell in love

i researched and compared other giant breeds for 2 yrs before i got Hector. the Leo came out on top for me for the Health,temperment and life span(as they seemed to have a longest lifespan than other giants)

6yrs on and i'm planning another Leo pup for next year.

i dont think i could ever be without one now
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 10:22 PM
I have never chosen a breed of dog. Coonie and maisie chose me, with the story of their plight! (from rescue)
I chose Podge from rescue after connie (who is blind) inspired me to want dogs with disabilities as they often struggle to find homes, he is partially blind and deaf.

Have to admit though after having podge i have fallen in love with Collies...what a wonderful temperament and character!
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 10:42 PM
So nice that so many people have rescues!

Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Have to admit though after having podge i have fallen in love with Collies...what a wonderful temperament and character!
I have to admit to being terrified of collies, I was bitten 3 times before the age of 5 by them (once quite badly in the face, ending in 40 stitches and 6 follow up ops) but my experience is of farm collies and the one 'pet' collie I've met was just lovely!!
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Labs: very easy, adaptable, intelligent, laid back, take everything in their stride, afraid of nothing...for me they are the canine all rounder, that's why I like um'.
That is everything my sisters labrador is NOT lol
Navajo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
well......i'd always wanted a BIG dog and whilst puppy walking for GDBA i was introduced to the Leonberger. WOW i fell in love

i researched and compared other giant breeds for 2 yrs before i got Hector. the Leo came out on top for me for the Health,temperment and life span(as they seemed to have a longest lifespan than other giants)

6yrs on and i'm planning another Leo pup for next year.

i dont think i could ever be without one now
Aww, I met two Leo's at a show last summer, they were lovely!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >