Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 10:35 AM

I think Buster is scared of the dark?

Since the clocks have gone back and I now have to walk Buster in the dark in the evening (can’t walk him any earlier, as it is dark when I finish work) I have noticed he gets very stressed out only when walking in the dark. Last night I took him out and all he did was stop every time he seen someone, goes on high alert and just stood there and lookw, he does not growl or bark (although he did growl at two people over a month ago when he was on lead in the dark, but not done this since.) when walking him he does lip licking and drooling. I know the walk is stressing my dog out. He's that stressed out during his walk he does not even bother to sniff anything or do any wee or poo and is very eager to get back home. Last night the walk lasted 10 mins. Just to add last year he was walked in the dark and there was no problem whatsoever.

So peeps two questions:-

1. Do dogs get scared of the dark?
2. Do you think a calming aid will be of benefit to Buster? And if so which calming aids to use?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

PS I have recently changed the route for his walk as the field where I normally take him is pitch black, but he had been showing stress signs when walking his normal route in the dark.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Is his eye sight ok ??
Is he also frighted in the garden (if you have one)..
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 12:40 PM
his eye sight is fine. He does sometimes appear to be reluncant to go out in the yard (dont have a garden) during the dark hours.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Maybe he's scared a chi will jump out and bite him on the bum

Or perhaps he's just less confident as he cant see as well as in the day. He seemed ok at the filming in the dark. Very chilled out but I suppose it wasnt that dark then
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
Maybe he's scared a chi will jump out and bite him on the bum

LOL

Or perhaps he's just less confident as he cant see as well as in the day. He seemed ok at the filming in the dark. Very chilled out but I suppose it wasnt that dark then
Its really odd this behaviour because I was thinking the same about the filming he seemed fine then. Maybe I should have his eyes tested again, by a different vet, as I did not use my usual vet last time. his sight was checked about a month and a half ago.

It could also be a combination of the route change too. I know he was showing distress on his normal route during his walk in the dark but he is worse on the new route.

I think what I might do tonight is (even though I hate walking him on the pitch black field) is walk him his usual route and see how he is.

I will also book him in again at the vets for a sight check but at my own vets.

I will let you know how I get on with his walk tonight.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Dogs have better eyesight than us in the dark, and of course their main sense is smell backed up by hearing. Night blindness is an early symptom of some eye problems (notably progressive retinal atrophy) so an eye check wouldn't hurt, especially if you mention your concerns to the vet. Sometimes they don't look for something specific if they don't think it's an issue.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Dogs have better eyesight than us in the dark, and of course their main sense is smell backed up by hearing. Night blindness is an early symptom of some eye problems (notably progressive retinal atrophy) so an eye check wouldn't hurt, especially if you mention your concerns to the vet. Sometimes they don't look for something specific if they don't think it's an issue.
Thanks for your response. He had a basic eye test done about a month ago may be a bit longer. I just asked the vet to check his eyes were alright.

I will be booking him in for another eye check but I want a thorough eye test doing, especially his night vision.

I will update this thread once I have had his eyes tested again.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Update

Well not had chance to have Buster's eye tested yet but I am still going to get them done again.

Anyway, I took Buster back onto his usual route (day time route) in the dark last week and he was totally fine.

I have now stopped taking him on the other route where he was showing stress signs. Instead, I have been taking him on another new route, however, where I take him now it is lit up very well and he seems a lot more happier. He has shown no stress signs whatsoever.