View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 04:22 PM

I've just had to take a sledge hammer to my dad's porch door.

While my dad's on holiday myself, Dave & Max are staying at his house to look after his cats.

I got back this afternoon and unlocked the porch door and then the front door, letting Max into the house along with my keys and bag. I went back out to shut the front gates and I shut the porch door to stop Max getting onto the road. For some reason I thought that I had locked the latch off, but as I shut the door the latch dropped.

Here I am trapped outside my dad's house, Max is trapped inside. My Dad lives in a rural area so I'm a 15 minute walk from a phone box.

Being as the lock is quite old I tried to bash it in with a hammer but that lock was tougher than I gave it credit for! After trying to bash the lock and kick the door in I settled for smashing the safety glass in the door with a sledge hammer.

How bad do I feel now? It wouldn't have been so bad if I would have smashed the glass straight away but now I've got to replace the lock and the glass before my dad gets back on Monday.

The worst thing about it though was, when I finally got back in, I ran into the house to find Max. (I think there was a lot of shouting and doors slamming in his previous home because whenever he hears our neighbours arguing he gets stressed out). I finally found him ... he had crawled into my sister's built in wardrobe and was curled up in there, shaking.

Max's reaction has really upset me. The lock and glass can be fixed but poor Max was so stressed out by all of my banging. Thankfully he is ok now.

PS. I don't think I'll ever give up the day job and become a robber - I wasn't very succesful in trying to break in!
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Thats not good poor you , i would hate that to happen.
Poor Max he must of had a bad time before he came to you, good job he has a good home now.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Poor Max He must of had a sh*t life with his last owners
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Poor you and poor Max at least you are in now and can give him loads of reassuring cuddles.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks Dori-Katie and Wolfie - I just hate it when things happen to Max that give an insight to what his previous life must have been like. He is fine now but he must have been really frightened.

I am just kicking myself for not checking the latch was down before I closed the door. Oh well - any plans I may have had for the weekend are well and truly scuppered!!!! Homebase - here I come!!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks Lynn!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Thanks Dori-Katie and Wolfie - I just hate it when things happen to Max that give an insight to what his previous life must have been like. He is fine now but he must have been really frightened.

I am just kicking myself for not checking the latch was down before I closed the door. Oh well - any plans I may have had for the weekend are well and truly scuppered!!!! Homebase - here I come!!
Sometimes it's probably better we didn't know what thier previous lives were like. If dogs could speak, there'd be a lot of heartache from owners.

Have fun in Homebase
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Oh that's the sort of thing you hate doing (Yes, it has happened to me)

And as others have said it really proves ('tho I'm sure you knew it already) what a horrible life Max must have endured before he came to you.

Give him a hug and a nice treat.

PS - Don't ask me how I know this but there's a trick with a credit card that can sometimes be used in these situations. It's not infallible but usually works, so I'm told!!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Losos - it's a good job that all my cards were safely in my bag which was locked in the house as I'm the sort of person who would have snapped them all, from my credit cards to my video membership card, thinking that I'd nearly done it!!