View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 01:45 PM
But I think that's exactly what their intention is isn't it? To fine only those culprits who let their dogs run riot in a public place, totally out of control, let their dogs c*ap on the walkways or in public areas without picking it up. From what I actually heard on the BBC news this morning, they are only going to impose fines on those people who cannot keep their dogs under control, they have never said (from what they reported this morning!) that they're stopping us doing anything?? He never once said, all dogs will have to be kept on a lead, the reporter was only saying about the fining of owners who's dog's caused a problem with other dogs or their owners, or people without dogs come to that! They can't stop us walking our dogs, be it onlead or offlead (if under strict control), they just want to rule out unnacceptable behaviour by unruly dogs, which I'm sorry, but I quite agree with?

However, like I said before, there's no way they will actually impose any of these fines, same as the dog c*ap lying around everywhere, have you ever seen anybody get fined for it, coz I haven't, I only tread in it!!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Is it just a slippery slope though - that's what worries me
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 01:52 PM
I hope it is just if your dog is out of control (although, knowing my luck my two would be complete a*seholes as soon as an authoritive figure was around).

I got the impression they had to be on leads, and borderdawn, I'm glad you are in a position to be able to walk yours on a lead all the time, but for some of us, those of us who can't work our dogs, don't have our own land, or can't walk far so chose a breed that would exercise itself by running around and around offlead, it's not quite as easy.

If I had to walk mine onlead in the parks we usually go to, I would probably end up having to employ a dog walker or rehome mine as I simply can't walk two dalmatians and give them the exercise they need on leads, they need a chance to let off steam or would have to walk for hours on a lead.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
However, like I said before, there's no way they will actually impose any of these fines, same as the dog c*ap lying around everywhere, have you ever seen anybody get fined for it, coz I haven't, I only tread in it!!!
I usually tread in it when I go to pick my own dogs' mess up
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-03-2007, 01:56 PM
From what i have read on the manchester city council website its not for if they are out of control, i dont know if its different rules elsewhere in the country.

I agree i cant see it be enforced which makes it an even bigger waste of money.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-03-2007, 01:58 PM
At the beach in Aberdeen, we have a section in the middle (near all the carnivals, cafe's and shops etc) where you must keep your dog(s) on a lead. Either side of that there is ample space where the dogs are free to run. I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure that the middle bit has signs up saying you'll be fined if you don't comply. I have no problem with this as both dog lovers and those who don't like dogs etc are being catered for. Provided these councils are working along similar lines then I guess it's fair enough.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
But I think that's exactly what their intention is isn't it? To fine only those culprits who let their dogs run riot in a public place, totally out of control, let their dogs c*ap on the walkways or in public areas without picking it up. From what I actually heard on the BBC news this morning, they are only going to impose fines on those people who cannot keep their dogs under control, they have never said (from what they reported this morning!) that they're stopping us doing anything?? He never once said, all dogs will have to be kept on a lead, the reporter was only saying about the fining of owners who's dog's caused a problem with other dogs or their owners, or people without dogs come to that! They can't stop us walking our dogs, be it onlead or offlead (if under strict control), they just want to rule out unnacceptable behaviour by unruly dogs, which I'm sorry, but I quite agree with?
But if the proposals in Manchester go through, they will stop you letting your dog offlead in some of the areas larger parks etc.

I say "will" as it will be law to keep your dog on a lead, not will as in they'll enforce it...

I could walk Max on a lead for a couple of hours and he would not be tired. However, 30 minutes on the beach of him running around on his own like a loon and he'll sleep for hours

I'm all for control of dogs in public places, and would never let Max off the lead if I though he'd be a menace or danger to anyone else there. I suspect that Dogsey members feel the same way.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
At the beach in Aberdeen, we have a section in the middle (near all the carnivals, cafe's and shops etc) where you must keep your dog(s) on a lead. Either side of that there is ample space where the dogs are free to run. I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure that the middle bit has signs up saying you'll be fined if you don't comply. I have no problem with this as both dog lovers and those who don't like dogs etc are being catered for. Provided these councils are working along similar lines then I guess it's fair enough.
Yeah, but there are no plans to have areas in the larger parks for dogs to be let off, Heaton park has more than enough space to allow this but this seems unlikely to happen, as they say there is space around the city to let your dogs run and having seen some of these spaces i would not lets a wild rat play there let alone my dogs.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Yeah can see how thats being met with anger then... I can't see any reason why they can't keep everyone happy. Have areas for both. But then again 90% of what councils/governments do makes no sense to your average Joe
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 02:09 PM
I'd better read some of those links then, coz from what I gathered watching the news this morning, it was precisely what I said previously, they're only going to fine culprits of unnacceptable behaviour from dogs, but that doesn't mean ALL dogs offlead, in fact, it could apply to a dog ONLEAD, if it leaped at someone else's dog to pick a fight? That dog would be causing a problem, so instant fine £80 done! As Moobli has said, maybe this is the slippery slope perhaps? I feel sorry for you guys, like Lottie, who only have the parks to go to coz all this will really affect you, whereas I have never even been in a park of any description with any of my dogs, I'm so lucky to have the Sussex Downs right on my doorstep to let them just run free, but still under my control of course, coz we do have other people around as well as cattle and sheep etc.

I suppose it's all to do with keeping us and everything else around us under "control" in some way or the other isn't it! We've got the ASBO's for the tearaway teenagers (that doesn't work!)and now they want to take control of our dogs by coming up with this latest useless idea. I still can't see them being able to enforce these new ideas, it will cost them too much money, they don't bother with the people who don't pick up the dog poo and that's a £1,000 fine - the only fines they're able to impose are parking
fines, so I think you're worrying unnecessarily, it just won't happen!
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >