View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Yes they are sold year round in M & S, I doubt if Heston's will be on sale though.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
No they haven't, the traditional way of physically crossing two plants or selecting & developing a strain of a plant is not the same directly changing the DNA of a plant in a laboratory.

A Genetically Modified(or more correctly Genetically Engineered)plant/animal is a plant/animal whose genetic characteristics have been altered by the insertion of a modified gene or a gene from another organism using the techniques of genetic engineering.

This can result in the plant becoming deadly to wildlife that consume it as a part of their natural diet.
Excellent post.

Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
thanks for that, I'm a geneticist btw

So what do you think crossing plants does? You are selecting for specific genes and genetically modifying the original strains. Just in a more long winded fashion to more modern selection methods
I'm sure you must know then, there's a world of difference between species that are similar enough to be successfully crossed (naturally), and GM practises that go way beyond that - taking genes from spiders and putting them in goats for example.

Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Azz, that so reminded me of when I was in my thirties, I see 'nowt wrong with shopping at Waitrose, when I'm in England I do tend to use Tesco but that is partly because I can easily park the motorhome on their car park and there are other reasons too

Maybe we should listen to the person above who worked in a supplier factory. All the things which they say are not in the new branded products may well have not been in the previous ones, who knows, but it seems the new products will have upmarket packaging and it is surprising how that influences people, marketing is a highly technical proffession these days and when you are selling millions of tins of baked beans per week just a slight hint of 'upmarketness' * makes a surprising difference to gross profit for the week. Allegedly they messed up a bit over Christmas so it's good to see them trying to get back on track.
* Is that a word
So shall we assume you're no longer in your 30s... and now rolling in it?
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 05:49 PM
No Azz, there really isn't that much difference! Individual genes dont work the way most people imagine.......Im on my phone so can't write a huge long post but I can expand on this a bit further later on, if you're interested that is
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Getting back to HCBs from M&S - I do not suppose they still have any Christmas puddings left - do they?

Drool drool drool.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 06:07 PM
I have a couple in my hampers which I have donated for a raffle at one of my breed club shows.

heheheheh
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Getting back to HCBs from M&S - I do not suppose they still have any Christmas puddings left - do they?

Drool drool drool.
I have just used my half-price Sainsbury's Christmas cake mix that was hiding in the back of a cupboard. I made it into a simnel cake by putting a circle of marzipan in the middle.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-04-2012, 06:13 PM
No Azz, there really isn't that much difference! Individual genes dont work the way most people imagine.......Im on my phone so can't write a huge long post but I can expand on this a bit further later on, if you're interested that is
There's enough difference for certain species to die, when their food source is replaced by the respective GM'd food source
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
There's enough difference for certain species to die, when their food source is replaced by the respective GM'd food source
I'll take it you dont want me to explain then. But to answer your comment, changing the expression level of one protein in a plant does not suddenly make it a completely different entity, its still the same plant stil to be eaten by the same organisms. The ignorance that surrounds this subject is on par with breed specific discrimination and dominance based training in dogs!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I have a couple in my hampers which I have donated for a raffle at one of my breed club shows.

heheheheh
I have gone right off you...

[I will pay for the postage if you would send them - plus a donation...]

Drool drool drool............
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-04-2012, 07:27 PM
I'll take it you dont want me to explain then. But to answer your comment, changing the expression level of one protein in a plant does not suddenly make it a completely different entity, its still the same plant stil to be eaten by the same organisms. The ignorance that surrounds this subject is on par with breed specific discrimination and dominance based training in dogs!
Not really sure what point you are trying to make They're genetically different - if they weren't then, er, what's the point.

The difference may be small (or massive - depending on how you look at it) but as mentioned, the difference is big enough to kill off an entire species that would otherwise naturally feed on it without any problems.

The real problem with GM food isn't the science, or the lack of proper understanding/testing (although obviously they are yet far from ideal) - it's the greed behind it. In the right hands it could potentially be beneficial to humanity (obviously debatable - do we *really* need it?), but I have zero faith in those spearheading it right now - it's all about patenting a food item/profit. It kinda disgusts me.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >