Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dave2003
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2012, 02:25 AM

How to get bad smell out of freezer

well guess what i did DOH! Went on holiday switched off plugs in kitchen and tada the fridge/freezer as well. after ten days oh my god it stinks! A lot! have washed drawers and shelves but the smell is still there am i right in saying coffee granules soak up smells? any tips please? cos its nasty
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2012, 04:14 AM
I had a really strong smell of onions in my fridge a while back and I put a small bowl of milk in there, as I'd heard milk absorbs smells. It worked on my fridge, but I don't know if it would work on something as nasty as your freezer after ten days of no electric. Worth a try though I would think.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2012, 06:41 AM
If you have already given it a good clean try going over it with bicarbonate of soda mixed with water, charcoal also can absorb smells.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by dave2003 View Post
well guess what i did DOH! Went on holiday switched off plugs in kitchen and tada the fridge/freezer as well. after ten days oh my god it stinks! A lot! have washed drawers and shelves but the smell is still there am i right in saying coffee granules soak up smells? any tips please? cos its nasty
What did you wash the drawers and shelves with? If it was detergent then the smell will linger. As moetmum says, wash the drawers and shelves [and all the inside] again with a bicarb and water solution, and then place small bowls of bicarb on each shelf/in each drawer.

Incidentally, bicarb is what is in the fridge and freezer deodorizer containers that you can buy. I just buy a pack of bicarb and put little bowls in my fridge and freezers to keep them odour-free.

I hope you manage to de-pong yours.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Lemon juice or vinegar are good deodourising cleaners, mix in a spray bottle with water (half water, half lemon juice or vinegar) and spray the freezer, let it sit for a while and wash down.
As said, bicarb will absorb lots of the odour so sprinkle it in a shallow bowl or two and stick in the freezer.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2012, 08:38 AM
I use coffee grains - works a treat If it's a bad smell spread them out on a tea plate size when the smells gone I use a small pot like one for dips
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
I use coffee grains - works a treat If it's a bad smell spread them out on a tea plate size when the smells gone I use a small pot like one for dips
Do you mean the coffee grounds left after making filter coffee, or fresh ground coffee?
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Do you mean the coffee grounds left after making filter coffee, or fresh ground coffee?
Nothing just so posh Malka

Just bog standard instant coffe straight out of the jar
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2012, 05:01 PM
When I read the title, I just wanted to say "get rid of the body"

but yes I think bicarb should do the trick
dave2003
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2012, 11:41 PM
lol tillymint the lovely bit of trout probably didn't help matters much. have combined the instant coffee granules and the bicarb over past few days and no more detergent and the smell has slowly dissapeared gonna paint a big F for freezer on the plug for next time!!!!
Thanks everyone for the tips xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >