Our sister sites
Our sister sites
grantco
New Member!
Female 

19-11-2010, 10:54 AM

Recall traing for lurcher

Hi,
I'm going through a lapse in concentration when I recall my 3 year old lurcher cross that's still very much in training. Do you think working with a long lead would help.
Thanks.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Because lurchers are very worky dogs, you could try rewarding her with play (tuggy toy games) when she returns? And yes, a long line will help you recall. If she has already learned to ignore you though, I would whistle-train her instead.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Whistle train her without the long line where she is likely to come e.g at home. mealtimes, to have her lead on to go for a walk, etc to reinforce the whistle/come association.

Continue the whistle training, combined with a long line, in more distracting environments.

Try to work out what is distracting her from coming back and try to incorporate that in some way into her recall as a reward e.g if she likes chasing, call and run away from her to encourage her to chase after you.

Also work on your other obedience commands so she becomes more accustomed to listening and responding to you generally.