View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Right DD, very quickly because I'm about to go and get my dogs out, just google the price difference between chinese crested and Labrador pups. There are some similar prices and some not so similar, why is that?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Right DD, very quickly because I'm about to go and get my dogs out, just google the price difference between chinese crested and Labrador pups. There are some similar prices and some not so similar, why is that?
I dont know .. I know diddly squat about labs or what they go for. It would also depend what prices you saw for the Cresties.. because they actually vary alot.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Probably the same with any breeds; price depends on the 'quality' of the pup. You could get a Lab pup from a BYB for £250, yet a pup from a FTCH x FTCH mating could easily go for £1000+ or way more.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Too many people cash in on breeds in high demand, simple. Toys are very popular atm, often for the wrong reason and are often homed to unsuitable people but there you go. I didn't pay through the nose for Ronnie, pedigree pom, vaccinated, insured etc etc, and his breeder charges no more depending on colour or sex, which seems popular in Pomeranians! That sort of figure for a dog as the thread is about is ridiculous, can't see how anyone can justify.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Why should the size of the dog impact on its price?? Is a great dane more valuable than a chihuahua?? The prices of a pup are dictated mostly by the costs involved with getting the litter. For example, the stud fees for well bred, proven (in the show ring) pugs is anywhere from £600 - £1000. Whereas for a labrador you wont expect to pay more than £3-400 for the same quality dog. You also generally get much smaller litters from smaller dogs, and if caesarians are needed very often they are much more expensive for smaller dogs (most of the vets around here quote around £1000 for a pug c-section).

Good breeders dont breed to make money they do it to produce the next generation for themselves, however, its impossible to continue breeding if you make a loss on every litter. I know with our litters every penny we make goes straight back into the upkeep of the dogs. Our monthly dog food bill alone is over £250. We have spent £3000 so far this year on show entries. And thats not including things like vet treatment and fuel to the shows. I can assure you that we make nowhere near that from selling pups but every bit we do get makes our showing possible

Also, im sure some smartarse will come along and say that breeders should reduce their prices etc etc etc, blah blah blah. BUT, if good breeders sold their top quality pugs (for example) for £400, who do you think that is going to attract?? Mr Puppy Farmer of course!! And anyone else thinking of making a quick buck by buying cheap dogs and breeding them, or selling them on for a profit. The higher priced dogs are priced like that for a reason, if you cant afford them you probably cant afford their upkeep anyway.
This last statement is inherently wrong. I have 4 dogs. None fo them cost me £1000+ or more. Two out of the 4 are already involved in showing and competitions. They all have individual activities too. I can afford the upkeep of every one of them.

Decent breeders don't breed to make money. My Unce (many years ago) bred SBTs. His pups were all the same price regarldess of colour or gender. He had several litters over about 10 years. On the last litter he broke even. Every other litter he lost a lot of money.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 02:08 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
This last statement is inherently wrong. I have 4 dogs. None fo them cost me £1000+ or more. Two out of the 4 are already involved in showing and competitions. They all have individual activities too. I can afford the upkeep of every one of them.

Decent breeders don't breed to make money. My Unce (many years ago) bred SBTs. His pups were all the same price regarldess of colour or gender. He had several litters over about 10 years. On the last litter he broke even. Every other litter he lost a lot of money.
Fair enough.

But, lets take a breed like pugs. They can be prone to eye injuries, these cost about £4000 to put right. If a person cant cough up the £1000 to purchase a pup i would be very concerned as to whether they would be able to afford to cover such high veterinary bills. Or to pay the insurance which is usually about double that of a lab or cross breed with most insurance companies.

I stand by what I said, if someone is going to quibble over the price of a pup that is not overpriced for the breed, then I would question whether they were the right person to own one of my pups. We dont overprice ours, they are the lower end of the average price probably, and if people try to haggle then that raises alarm bells for me. The cost shouldnt be the most important thing when searching for a pup.
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2010, 02:17 AM
Milos blue and I paid £225 for him. He was supposed to be £250 but the breeder knocked money off for travelling to get him. The blues in the litter cost the same as the blacks and he kept two of the puppies which were a light fawn I think it is (some people call it champaigne?) and a blue boy

Pups were not kc reg hence being quite cheap but he still charged the same price for all pups regardless of sex/ colour he just wanted them to go to good homes

I couldn't see myself ever paying that much for any dog and I think it's wrong to charge that much for a pup just because of it's colour!
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Haven't got time to multi quote people, but why, when you quickly look at the price of a couple of different breeds, do you get a vast majority, so for example when I googled pups last night, of Labs around the 200-700 price mark, and the vast majority of chinese crested pups are 500 and above?

I'm not trying to say people are breeding these breeds because they get more for the pups (although I'm sure some do), but cost is certainly a factor even for ethical breeders. For breeds where they are small, have whelping difficulties, lots of health tests, that WILL push the price up. Or are all the ethical breeders on here also philanthropists? There are points where any breeder has a large lump sum because they've produced a litter and sold the pups, and nothing (thank God) has really gone wrong. So if you breed Labs and you sell your litter of 8 pups for £500 each, or if you breed a smaller breed that only has a litter of 5, and you choose to sell them for £600 each because the costs are greater per pup, I do not see anything wrong with that? Or am I missing the point? It looks, on the surface, as though you will be making money, but as most breeders know that go about it the right way, you may have a lump sum of cash every now and then, but the slow and steady trickle combined with the occasional bit hit to the pocket, far outstrips any of the money made with the occasional litter.

I'm really not sure why people get uppity when you talk about money, I prefer the outright honest approach, yes, if I do go ahead and breed I may well end up with a couple of thousand pounds from a litter, but that won't be profit by any stretch of the imagination.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Could it be a misprint???
Thought the same
jem fong
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Oh i know this all too well - I have always wanted a french bulldog. There is just something about them that tugs at heart every time i see one!

I was looking for ages to rescue one, I found a breeder who had a deaf pup and was still asking for £1,500 knowing that the people who would have taken her would have a life long struggle with her and expensive vet bills to care for her in the future. And to top it off she offered me a 5yr old female that had finished breeding and just needed a loving home for £1,000.

I was so annoyed that I gave up, and my OH has always wanted a pug and we knew of someone who needed to rehome their 5mnth Male, so we offered to give him a trial. because he had papers and was so darn cute we offered them £400 and they agreed. When we had taken him home (for the trial - to see if he would get on with Nacho, and they loved each other) they decided to put the price up to £500. Now if i was looking to Buy a pug from a breeder etc i would not have a problem paying that much if not more as i know it is cheap but i had no idea what the parents were like. The fact that they were looking to rehome him because a family member was sick and they were trying to make money out of him really made me Mad! this poor lil guy was not even toilet trained and didnt know how to sit!

Some people are shockingly greedy!
Page 6 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »