View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 08:45 PM
when a breeder has a litter, they risk things going wrong and should be more than happy to pay out when things are needed, not add more money on to the puppies to cover costs. I certainly would feel it rather cheeky if I had put my name on a list, waited 6 months or so for my pup to be born and then be told im paying X amount more because the bitch needed a c-section.. I wouldnt necessarily class them bad breeders, but I would however question their motivies. Its not the owners responsability to pay out for the bitches care while she is pregnant/in labour.
lwatson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2010, 08:48 PM
OMG, I wonder if they get many callers!
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
when a breeder has a litter, they risk things going wrong and should be more than happy to pay out when things are needed, not add more money on to the puppies to cover costs. I certainly would feel it rather cheeky if I had put my name on a list, waited 6 months or so for my pup to be born and then be told im paying X amount more because the bitch needed a c-section.. I wouldnt necessarily class them bad breeders, but I would however question their motivies. Its not the owners responsability to pay out for the bitches care while she is pregnant/in labour.
Each to their own. But like i said, its up to each breeder how they choose to price their pups
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Each to their own indeed..Gunna tell me mum to charge more for her pups as we needed out of hours vet care for 3 puppies, and their mum....then needed to pay someone petrol money to travel down so we could get our pups on to another bitch - and of course as we lost 3 (sweet dreams babies .. ) we need to make more money back.

Its just not ethical in my eyes....
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Each to their own indeed..Gunna tell me mum to charge more for her pups as we needed out of hours vet care for 3 puppies, and their mum....then needed to pay someone petrol money to travel down so we could get our pups on to another bitch - and of course as we lost 3 (sweet dreams babies .. ) we need to make more money back.

Its just not ethical in my eyes....
Now you're just being silly and rude

Anyway, this is not anything to do with my original post on this thread so i wont say anymore. If you wish to put the price of your pups at £500 or £5000 thats up to you.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Your point was that people can charge more because of the medical treatment a bitch has had if they wish?? when its not the owners responsabilities..
I wasnt rude at all - was trying to get my point across... charging more to gain what is spent out is in no way ethical, any breeder that does so has the wrong motives.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Your point was that people can charge more because of the medical treatment a bitch has had if they wish?? when its not the owners responsabilities..
Really, how did you come to that conclusion from my post??

Why should the size of the dog impact on its price?? Is a great dane more valuable than a chihuahua?? The prices of a pup are dictated mostly by the costs involved with getting the litter. For example, the stud fees for well bred, proven (in the show ring) pugs is anywhere from £600 - £1000. Whereas for a labrador you wont expect to pay more than £3-400 for the same quality dog. You also generally get much smaller litters from smaller dogs, and if caesarians are needed very often they are much more expensive for smaller dogs (most of the vets around here quote around £1000 for a pug c-section).

Good breeders dont breed to make money they do it to produce the next generation for themselves, however, its impossible to continue breeding if you make a loss on every litter. I know with our litters every penny we make goes straight back into the upkeep of the dogs. Our monthly dog food bill alone is over £250. We have spent £3000 so far this year on show entries. And thats not including things like vet treatment and fuel to the shows. I can assure you that we make nowhere near that from selling pups but every bit we do get makes our showing possible

Also, im sure some smartarse will come along and say that breeders should reduce their prices etc etc etc, blah blah blah. BUT, if good breeders sold their top quality pugs (for example) for £400, who do you think that is going to attract?? Mr Puppy Farmer of course!! And anyone else thinking of making a quick buck by buying cheap dogs and breeding them, or selling them on for a profit. The higher priced dogs are priced like that for a reason, if you cant afford them you probably cant afford their upkeep anyway.

The c-section thing was brought up by someone else, i only mentioned it very briefly in passing as it had been mentioned by someone else previously.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Really, how did you come to that conclusion from my post??
I didnt say it was from your first post, as you have posted more than once in this thread, I have took all posts into account not just the first

You said...

Originally Posted by Jessica
if a breeder adds on an extra £50 per puppy to help cover costs then thats not a problem to me, i dont see that as ripping anyone off.

We didnt with ours that were born by caesarian, we just ended up making a significant loss on that litter, but i could understand if people did, as long as they didnt put prices up hugely, just enough to break even, it doesnt bother me
In respond to me asking is its usal for breeders to charge more if a c-section was needed...so to me it says that you think breeders can charge more for pups, if a bitch has recieved medical treatment? or have I got this wrong?
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 09:26 PM

In respond to me asking is its usal for breeders to charge more if a c-section was needed...so to me it says that you think breeders can charge more for pups, if a bitch has recieved medical treatment? or have I got this wrong?
Indeed you have

As I have said, its up to each breeder what they charge for their pups and their reasons for it. Its not my place to criticise, nor anyone elses imo.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Indeed you have

As I have said, its up to each breeder what they charge for their pups and their reasons for it. Its not my place to criticise, nor anyone elses imo.
nothing new there for me then! although it seemed pretty clear.

Yes its a breeders choice what they charge, but all dogs of the same quality from anyone breeder should be priced at the same price, no matter how much the breeder has spent out.
So we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one!
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »