Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

23-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I know - ditch the dinner and drink the rest of the bottle.

Did you put in a whole chicken or chopped up, 'cos you wouldn't have been able to fry it whole?
Lol - thing is I'm not much of a alcohol drinker... tho I would love to get some organic red wine (with only 'natural' sulphites in it) and give that a try

Re the chicken, yes it was whole. But one thing I noticed is that the food comes out with a distinct 'chemical' type smell. It's not the dish, but seems to be the electric 'heater'. Think I'm gonna take it back to be honest

Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Good grief Azz, that's some plate of grub! Growing boy, are you?
LOL I eat sooooooooo much. But don't have many carbs (such as wheat/bread etc) so need to eat more, and more often - least that's what I keep telling myself
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 05:13 AM
I read the title and thought you were calling me!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Lol! You're not that bad are you MM!?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE=Azz;2010296]Lol - thing is I'm not much of a alcohol drinker... tho I would love to get some organic red wine (with only 'natural' sulphites in it) and give that a try

Re the chicken, yes it was whole. But one thing I noticed is that the food comes out with a distinct 'chemical' type smell. It's not the dish, but seems to be the electric 'heater'. Think I'm gonna take it back to be honest

I know what that is Azz, you've got one of those bit, black metal ones haven't you, they always have that weird smell! You need to go and get yourself one of those tall, white ones, not the big, oblong black ones! I have a very small one indeed, a white small, tall, round one, just enough for one meal, got it from Amazon, go take a look, it's brill, coz you don't have to put as much liquid in to spoil all the flavour when you're cooking for just one!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-07-2010, 02:59 PM
I had this one H: http://www.breville.co.uk/products/s...ow-cooker.html the Breville 4.5 litre one.

And yes the inside was black! Didn't realise it was metal tho, thought it was painted ceramic!

Which one do you recommend H?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Yes, that's one of the ones I had way back which did that smelling thing, it was awful NO, lol, the pot in the middle IS ceramic, but the thing about these large, tinny ones is, some of them DO make that smell I know coz I had so many in that canteen coz we kept blowing them up!

I'd go for the small, round uprights like these, they never smell like that, maybe it's coz they're white, I don't really know and they're cheaper, I would never pay more than £20 for one, and my little dinky one was about £9 I think! Here's mine:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse...Low+-+High.htm
Christ that's a big looooooong!!! It's the first one on the Argos slow cookers, the uprights are so much better coz of the liquid, you have to put soooo much liquid in the oval ones like yours that it ruins the flavour quite honestly.

Amazon do my particular one, that very small one, but you won't get a whole chicken in it, only a couple of breasts or legs at one time!

Here's my dinky one, which I would highly recommend and you can still get enough in there to share it with Rocky!
Lloytron 1.5l Mini Slow Cooker (Crock Pot) £22.99 on Amazon, I can't post up the link coz it fills half the page and I don't know how to reduce them! Lol! It's the best one I've ever had, it heats up soooooo quickly, bubbles away, unlike yours which takes ages to start bubbling I bet!

I'll try a link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lloytron-1-5...987104&sr=1-74
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-07-2010, 04:40 PM
They look tiny H! I like to do enough to last a couple of meals at least - but then, maybe doing a small meal every night I need one won't be so bad.

So do you definitely have these? Which one is the best?

Must admit I did like the auto setting on the Breveille one - it automatically switches to low after it gets up to temp on high.

Wonder if it's worth getting this 6.5ltr one LOL!

Which has a white ceramic pot. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rachel-Allen...989364&sr=1-31

Must admit that smell really has put me off them - wonder what I need to look out for to get one that doesn't smell
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Yes, that smell kinda haunts you doesn't it, once you've experienced it, I know just what you mean, very chemically isn't it, not nice!

I've never found any of those white, round uprights that smell, only those oval, larger ones quite honestly. My little one IS that first picture, it's the Bonne Cuisine one, and it has the auto feature. Some of them don't heat up quickly enough for my liking, i.e. I can come home two hours later and find it's not even bubbled yet whereas this latest one, I leave it on hot, it bubbles up straight away, then I turn it to auto or maybe leave it on hot! You cannot ruin or burn food in it Azz, don't worry about leaving it on the hot mode, I always have for 5 hours sometimes, then I turn it down for the last 3 hours if it's a stew for Dave that I've had for lunch! Nothing can burn in it, that's why you always have to have half liquid in it, or at least 1/3rd, so remember that bit, it's very important!

Just remember, the bigger you go, the longer you're going to have to leave it on for. If you put a stew in at 8 am. go off to work, by the time you come home at 6pm it'll be absolutely gooooooorgeous, the longer you leave it in there, the better it is, I have been known to leave stuff in there overnight (not that I wanted it for breakfast, but for freezing!). You cannot eat anything out of one of these until it's been in there for at least 4 hours imo, it just tastes vile! It does a wicked bit of boiled gammon too, I'm often plonking a bit of gammon in mine with boiling water to cover, try that if you like it! Veggies though, should only be added during the last hour of cooking if you want them "normal", except for those stew veggies which you need for flavour chuck them in with the meat and the onions of course!

I hope you don't get despondant, I honestly don't think you've used it properly yet tbh, you were in too much of a hurry methinks! That chicken would have been better choped up into legs and wings, it would fit better and cook better! Just remember, 8 hours is GOOD, really good!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-07-2010, 05:07 PM
I left mine in overnight - put it all in about 1am and had it at 1pm (would that be ok with these smaller ones?)

The 1.5litre one doesn't look big enough - would that be a meal just for one? Or do you fill it right up to the top? The ones I did were full to two thirds ish - apart from the chicken one that just went two thirds up.

Re the smell - does that Bonnie cuisine one definitely not smell?

I have some Amazon vouchers up so might just order that one - if I don't like it I can always use it for Rocky's bones (put his old bones in there with some beef stock cubes lol).
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 05:14 PM
I love my slow cooker! Throw everything in before a shoot day, walk in to my tea cooked, and my house smelling lovely!

Made a beef stew when I was in Scotland last week, have to say I prefer venison, but it was still yummy!

OH had a go at making a chilli in it a few weeks ago, and he said it was the nicest chilli he had ever had!

I've got this one, http://direct.asda.com/Asda-Slow-Coo...riptionSection
My uncle bought it for us for xmas. I couldn't live without it now!
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >