Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2009, 02:11 PM

How Not to Do Tracking

Inspired by a recent WT workshop, I got Daisy a tracking harness and we headed off to Two Tree Island to have a go.
I put on her harness and secured her to a signpost, carefully laid a track - a trail of treats with her reward ball at the end and went back to untie her - and turned round to see 2 greyhounds trot round the corner and carefully hoover up every treat.
Undeterred, I headed further into the wilds to an area of long grass and repeated the process. This time, she just got her nose down when Shamus put up a pheasant and gallumphed round and round the area, flattening all the grass in an ecstacy of excitement.
Never mind. I counted to 10, tied Shamus up as well and re-laid the track in an un-flattened bit. Halfway along we were joined by a very excited labrador puppy who bounced all over us and the track.
By now Daisy was looking a bit bemused so we took my life in our hands and went to the Model Aeroplane Club site, where there are large notices warning about the snarly planes doing aerobatics above your head (just).
Laid a track, prayed I wouldn`t get decapitated...and off she went like a little trouper, straight to the goal. It was jolly good fun.
Any tracking tips?
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Well I was advised to use the grass verge by the side of the road. But if you do I don't think you will have nearly as much fun
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2009, 02:53 PM
I did laugh as I pictured all that especially the grey hounds. Well done for risking life and limb and well done to her for finding her prize. Don't have any advice but next time bring the camera xx
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2009, 03:00 PM
That sure is commitment (am assuming your head is in fact still where it should be).

Had to laugh at the "gallumphing"...an excellent adjective if ever there was one.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2009, 03:03 PM
No tips on tracking, just wanted to say how much your description of your afternoon made me smile....and to say well done on persevering and to Daisy for doing it so well when she finally got the chance
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Haha - sounds like you had great fun Claire!

I am in the process of training Yogi to track with the help of a police dog handler. I am lucky in that we have plenty of space up here where no one ever walks, so have a choice of where to lay our tracks.

I started Yogi by scuffing my feet into the grass every step in a straight line and then putting down his fav toy, covered with grass. It took him a while to start using his nose for real - instead of just hunting around for the ball but he seems to have the hang of it now and we are progressing on to single leg tracks laid out of his sight and left for slightly longer.

I have a John Rogerson dvd on tracking (an introduction to) which is really helpful, if you manage to get hold of a copy.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Thankyou! I`ll look out for it.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2009, 08:36 AM
good for you for sticking with it many of us would have just given it up

Well done to Daisy for getting it at the end - good things come to those who wait hey
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2009, 09:12 AM
I dont know how long you are making this straight leg, but I would triple lay the first 12-15ft. There are many theories about teaching a dog corners wether you actuall face the dog with a corner and triple lay, or go for a curve and decreasing. dont forget the wind and enjoy i love watching dogs track

jeanette
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2009, 09:15 AM
..................forgot to say john Rogerson taught me about tracking about 30yrs ago and luckily the same method has worked for me ever since. I lived quite close to John and trained with him most weekends