View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SKyDiver
New Member!
Male 

18-05-2009, 12:18 AM

Need helping writing a good letter to a breeder!

Here is a mail I'm gona send the breeder to let them know a little more about myself. Let me know what I could do better. I'm not sure about the structure. I would also like to included that I'm an active person which is one of the traits I'm looking forward to in a Shiba Inu but don't know where I could put that information in.

"I’m a 24 year old music student currently attending XX College.
Although I grew up with birds and a cat I never had a dog myself (we lived in apartment where they weren’t allowed), but a lot of my relatives did and I always felt a strong connection with them. I’m well aware about the difficulties than can arise with a Shiba Inu which is why I’m going to take my time to educate myself as much as possible and searching for a responsible breeder. I will also take a semester off in winter to have enough time with the puppy. Since the first year is so crucial I am going to cut my classes back as much as possible to only be away in the morning, four days a week during the following semesters, and taking summer off if needed.
I’m currently renting the master bedroom in a house so there’s plenty of space indoors. We have hardwood flooring throughout the building which means it won’t be a problem should a little “accident” occur. Child safety fends are going to be installed to restrict access to places like kitchen, laundry room and main entrance. During the times I’m gone I will leave it in an exercise pen in the living room with a crate, food, water, toys and some classical music playing in the background. I will also have somebody to check-in, not leaving it unattended for more than 3 hours, but usually there’s always someone in the house. Should I be gone for too long I would consider doggie day care as well. We live in a dog friendly neighborhood with many dog owners. Getting the puppy socialized with humans and dogs is definitely one of my top priorities. We have a lot of good dog parks in the surround areas (Santa Monica / West Hollywood) and obedience classes. My house manager is very forthcoming since she has a few dogs of her own, but lives in another building across the street.
Of course I would keep in contact with the breeder for updates if needed or requested.
By the way I’m also looking for a Shiba Inu community in the LA area so please let me know if you have some information.
Thank you for your time."

thanks!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 07:17 AM
As you are renting a house I would get written confirmation from your landlord that it is ok to have a dog and send that in as well.
Becky
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I agree with Becky that permission in writing from your Landlord is essential, they have been known to change their minds!

If I was a breeder looking to sell a puppy to a first time owner I think I would want to know that you had found suitable local training classes. My other concern would be that you live in a shared house so I would want to meet or be reassured that your housemates were happy about the arrangement and that they also knew how to behave with the puppy, in case they undid all your hard work.

Dogsey is a UK based forum so you will need to see if you can find your local Shiba society.

Let us know how you get on,

J
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Am I the only person who has a problem with giving advice to someone who I know nothing about?

No offence to SkyDiver as I wouldn't even make an approach to a breeder for someone unless I knew them very well.

I just feel that the letter should be their own work.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-05-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm a bit concerned about the classical music. I mean it's a bit vague isn't it? Are we talking Bach or Bizet?
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Am I the only person who has a problem with giving advice to someone who I know nothing about?

No offence to SkyDiver as I wouldn't even make an approach to a breeder for someone unless I knew them very well.

I just feel that the letter should be their own work.
Really none of us know anything about anyone on here (apart from the members we know in the real world) I've received some excellent help and advice from this site, yet none of you know me.

I think that unless someone is obviously trollish or raises suspicions in another way all you can do is accept them at face value. I know we've been stung a couple of times on this forum and maybe I'm being naive but I still think that initially you need to give people the benefit of the doubt.

All we are doing is giving general advice, it's not like we are recommending them or procuring a puppy for them. We are just telling them the things they need to consider. In fact shouldn't the poster be praised for doing their research?

J
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Reading through it and taking the angle of any breeder. I read that you are a student renting a room in a shared house. I would want to know a bit more long term. What happens after your studies finish. where will you live then.
Reading it as it is, and I mean no offence, but I wouldn't offer you a puppy in your current circumstance. There are too many factors. Even if the landlord gave permission, there are other people sharing the house. Those that might approve to you having a dog now but might not appreciate one if it barks/whines all the time, which could happen. So I would extend on your living arrangement in terms of where you would be living after studies.
SKyDiver
New Member!
Male 

19-05-2009, 02:52 AM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Even if the landlord gave permission, there are other people sharing the house. Those that might approve to you having a dog now but might not appreciate one if it barks/whines all the time, which could happen.
Well this is very general since it's never guaranteed how the dog will turn out and even experienced dog owners might reconsider if they can't stop a dog from biting or barking, but I don't think that's the situation in my case. Besides, one of my roommates volunteers for an animal shelter while another one works at a doggie day care.
Since I'm working here after graduation I'm not going to move anytime soon.
I will probably rewrite the letter with further suggestions.