View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kimothy
New Member!
Female 

14-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Hi spot I tried to reply to your post yesterday but the computer cut me off. I did have a dog walker for my dogs untill they were nearly a year old, but as i said that turned out to be problematic. They are left during the day as we are unable to get home at lunch time, though they are not left for longer than 7 hours. They are only in the run during the day when we are out and live in the house overnight and at weekends. However in response to what my breeder might think, I know it is not a problem as my dogs mum is a working sheepdog and like many farm dogs lives outdoors in a run. I can see your point about the energy levels, but we do live a very active lifestyle and they get a minimum of 2 hours excercise a day along with agility and several long walks at the weekends.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2009, 10:38 AM
It's a catch 22 isn't it?... I mean if you don't work full time, you can't afford the upkeep of the dog and if you do, you're a bad owner.

When I lived alone I had Selkie and Jackjack for company. I worked full time and they were on their own in the house for about 7 - 8 hrs a day, no lunch visit... I thought this was perfectly normal.. Everyone I knew of who had dogs did the same... Selkie went through destructive phase as a pup, but stopped when I brought home Jackjack for company. (No rescue I could find at the time would entertain me.. I ended up looking for a puppy, then rescuing Jackjack myself with the help of the dog warden). Together they seemed much happier, Jackjack was used to being kennelled in a rabbit hutch for days at a time without being let out, so I think found the fact I came home at all a delightful novelty, he was always so excited and pleased to see me, it was a wonderful heart warming greeting

But things have changed... I now have a partner and work only one full day and two half days a week. I have a dog walker and cleaner to break up the full day for Kismet.. The other two I am sure would happily sleep away the 7 hours without noticing... I do everything I can to make sure they are never alone for more than 4-5 hours maximum... but I wonder when my mentality changed?

I panic now if I am delayed on the way home on the half days and once rushed into the house after a bad traffic jam after 6 hours away convinced I would find three dead dogs, to find three perfectly happy dogs and a dead lawn chair...
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2009, 09:19 AM
We have 2 dogs and both work full time, we have a dog walker who takes them out 3 times a week and the other days my dad comes for the morning to look after them, if i could afford to go part time i would but i dont think that will be happening for a long time yet.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Both me and hubby work full time, I get up really early (5.45am), take the dogs for an hours walk, then I have an hour with them before I leave for work. I come home at lunch time as my work are really flexible and they get a 40 mins walk. Before tea hubby takes them out for 20 mins or so while I get the dinner on. This is 4 days a week as daughter is at home with them on a friday afternoon. They like their routine and eagerly await their kongs and marrow bones etc. Half the time when I get home at lunch they are curled up asleep.
I am totally dedicated, I wouldn't like to leave the dogs without them having a good walk and some mental stimulation
Most of the dogs on my street are lucky to get walked, in fact there was only me out today coz of the rain
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2009, 03:06 AM
I work full time and go to school, but my dog does not suffer. I work three nights a week 6 pm to 8am. I spend all day with my dog, then go to work and she sleeps. My elderly mother lives with us so she isn't alone. My mom can't walk her or really play with her but she does keep her company. I also go to school one day a week, I'm usually gone about 8 hours, but again, my mom is home during the day. I start that day with a walk and end it with a walk. She's nearly ten now and fit, healthy and happy. It isn't a crime to work full time and have pets.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-05-2009, 04:21 PM
If working full time meant not having a dog, very few people could have one. There are many good ways to give the dog a mid day break. I have mostly been able to make it home for lunch. There are neighbors, ''Mum'', professional dog walkers, and perhaps the best solution-doggy day care.
Shih_Tzu_Lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2009, 06:33 AM
Hey
i have a shih tzu and we both work full time.
Its not fair if people dont leave their dogs things to do.

Romeo sits on the windowsill of our bay window and barks and sleeps in the sun.
Or he will go play with the home alone toy- this is great!
Its a ball that you can buy from any pet shop really and as he moves it it will make slinkee noises and this creates the feeling that the dog is NOT home alone.
He isnt destructive so its all good,

He gets a 20 minute walk in the morning, and mainly family come and see him or let him out and take him back to their homes with them until my daughter comes home from school.
Also he gets an 2hour walk on an evening aswell so he doesnt complain

xx
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 02:10 PM
If they are walked before and after work and have someone in for an hour at least once during the day, prefrably twice, and as long as its not a young pup then I think its ok.
It can depend on the dog though some don't mind if thier day is broken up and some can't handle being left at all, so for these it wouldn't be fair.
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-07-2009, 03:46 PM
I think some dogs who's owners are at work all day have a better quality of life than some of those with owners that don't work.

I am normally out of the house 9.00-16.00, I came home mid-day when they were younger or had someone let them in the garden for me. Most dogs can manage 6-7 hours without needing the toilet and if an accident happens you can not blame the dog.

With working these hours (almost full-time) I have to be careful when selecting a new dog - something over-active like a border collie would not fit in, nor would I take in an older dog who is used to someone being at home all day. In the past I have had a Jack Russell and Corgis, now I have Mini Schnauzers and a Labradoodle who have all had laid back temperaments and have settled into my life style.

All of them have been good tempered, mix well with other dogs and are safe around people - which is more than I can say about a lot of dogs who are owned by some people who are home all day (and whose kids are normally as badly trained as the dogs)
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 05:20 PM
I thankfully am not in the position where I have to leave my dogs alone, there is always someone at home, but I am curious as to how you cope with the extreme heat we are experiencing at the moment, presumably you don't leave the windows open?
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >