Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2008, 06:29 PM

The best way?

What is the best way to introduce the new puppy to my 2 girls in 4 weeks time?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2008, 06:39 PM
When you visit the pup can you take a little piece of blanket so your dogs can sniff it before she arrives?

I would set up the puppy crate/area where the puppy will be and put the blanket in there. If you are using a crate maybe keep the crate door shut so that no one else moves in and claims it!

If you dogs are well adjusted and usually accepting of dogs there shouldn't really be a problem, but many adult dogs are a bit scared of very small pups as they don't respond to body language like older dogs! It might be an idea to have a piece of board to act as a room divider, or to put across the kitchen door so the older dogs can go in to see the pup if they want, but can escape easily when they have had enough.

I would make sure that the little one only has short play session with the older dog so that it doesn't get over tired and also so they can have some rest from the young whippersnapper!!

Enjoy the pup - i expect the wait will seem sooo long!
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Thank you I thought it would be best to get my sisters crate and use this time. to give him and the girls a rest.
I am hoping to go and see him again in a few weeks before we have him and I will take a blanket to rubb on him .
Dori when mad sniffing my hands saturday when we came back
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Don't worry if your dogs don't seem to like your new puppy at first . They may appear to be quite miserable at first and some people get really worried about this . Just give them time and they will all be fine . Don't allow the new puppy to pester them too much and if they have a snarl at the puppy don't interfere . You can't force them to be friends but they will be eventually .
I got a new puppy a couple of months ago and my oldies were a bit put out at first but everything is fine now . I wouldn't say they are great friends the age gap is a bit too great but they respect each others space and there are no problems
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Ah thank you.
I am worried they may not like each other and I think katies nose will be put out the most.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2008, 07:47 PM
It may take longer than you think for everythng to be settled and some people think of giving up but believe me they will accept the puppy eventually and everthing will be fine .
Just make sure they get plenty of attention too and if you have a crate you can always put the puppy in there to give them a break .