View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-10-2014, 09:32 AM

Keeping unneutered dog - which sex is best?

Hello! Haven't been around much lately. Pippa is doing well and I've just been incredibly busy really.

I have been looking into getting a German Spitz Klein puppy for a while and meeting breeders etc. I am going to see some puppies on Sunday that are potentials for a little brother or sister for Pip.

With the Spitz breed I am told you are best not neutering as their coat can double in size or just be very affected by it. I am interested also in showing although obedience is my priority.

So if I am not neutering the dog (and before anyone jumps in, I am making this decision responsibly and not for just having puppies - althpugh it is possible the breeder will wish to use a dog as stud if I get one) then which should I get - dog or bitch?

I need the bare balls good and bad for each - spraying/seasons/behaviour/walking considerations etc from anyone elses experience please.

Pippa is a neutered bitch so I am told this means an unneutered dog won't be desperately spraying everywhere although presumably he may still do it...and humping? But the breeders have said boys are a bit dopier, more biddable. Will a female get fighty with Pippa in adolescence? Pippa is 2 1/2 so there's a reasonable age gap.

Anyway, give me everything you've got!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Jacsicle View Post
Hello! Haven't been around much lately. Pippa is doing well and I've just been incredibly busy really.

I have been looking into getting a German Spitz Klein puppy for a while and meeting breeders etc. I am going to see some puppies on Sunday that are potentials for a little brother or sister for Pip.

With the Spitz breed I am told you are best not neutering as their coat can double in size or just be very affected by it. I am interested also in showing although obedience is my priority.

So if I am not neutering the dog (and before anyone jumps in, I am making this decision responsibly and not for just having puppies - althpugh it is possible the breeder will wish to use a dog as stud if I get one) then which should I get - dog or bitch?

I need the bare balls good and bad for each - spraying/seasons/behaviour/walking considerations etc from anyone elses experience please.

Pippa is a neutered bitch so I am told this means an unneutered dog won't be desperately spraying everywhere although presumably he may still do it...and humping? But the breeders have said boys are a bit dopier, more biddable. Will a female get fighty with Pippa in adolescence? Pippa is 2 1/2 so there's a reasonable age gap.

Anyway, give me everything you've got!
it really depends on what you like and to be honest if you are interested in showing what the breeder has available, so it might not be a choice.

Either or is equally as easy or difficult , its down to the individual dog,

Its not set in stone the a entire dog is going to go round humping and spraying everywhere, or be interested in bitches, he might he might not............ with a bitch you have seasons so if you don`t think you can cope with an in season bitch every 6 mths or so and all it entails, then it might be best to go for a dog.

Personally I would be guided by the breeder, if you are looking for show potential, no point in you wanting a dog and there are not show quality dogs in the litter, same the other way round.

You need to reseach your breed some can be more of a challenge depending on sex.... some get on better with same sex some don`t, so that might be a consideration.

Don`t be fooled into thinking a entire dog wont be interested in a spayed bitch, some can again its down to individual dogs.......you might find a bitch fits in better with your other dog, but some bitches can get really moody when in season so that`s something you need to be aware of.

All the above may or may not be an issue, you are not going to know till you have the dog, so if I was you I would go with what you like and what the breeder recommends.

P.S........ I have an entire young male that is driven (at the moment) by his hormones, he lives breaths them, he `s a pest with any bitch and humping , he`s all over the place, I am hoping with maturity he will settle down, yet other entire males I know are not bothered at all, its all down to individual dogs.........
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-10-2014, 11:08 AM
It's so difficult isn't it. I know people can't decide for me. I just want to be as knowledgeable as I can really. My absolute priority is Pippa, and then after that it is general pet dog concerns - as in, showing would be lovely but I have to live with that dog every day and need to have a dog that fits in to normal life reasonably well!

I have researched the breed a lot and spoken to different breeders. The problem is they tend to have many dogs all together and in amongst a crowd some of the intricasies of doggy relationships are swallowed up and not a big problem, whereas when there are just two dogs they are more noticeable/important. Does that make sense?

If this breeder only has a showable bitch and I decide I want a dog then I will just wait.

However I sort of think it'll come down to the puppies on the day and if one seems really outgoing and switched on and like they'd be really up for learning etc then I'd probably be sold whether it is a boy or girl! But ideally I'd like to have a preference in mind. The person I am seeing this weekend doesn't actually have any available girls unless something changes.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Males it can be a bit of like pounding your head against the wall, dealing with there hormones, but it is just training and correction.
Females best way to put it, is it can be messy every 6 months.

As posted above, biggest thing is the breed, and same sex aggression. When males fight for dominance it generally a lot of show. When females fight for dominance it generally a war.

I don't know the breed, so can't be any help there.

All I can say is I don't neuter and after 25+ years have yet to have a litter a male of mine has fathered. (Personally have never owned a female.)
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2014, 03:45 PM
I would only ever keep entire males & my bitches are all eventually spayed at sometime.

No medical reason for castrating males unless it has a problem, bitches can & do develop pyrometra regardless of whether they have had a litter so I would spay to prevent possible pyrometra especially in an older bitch(had to have a 10 1/2 year old emergency spayed when she developed a closed pyrometra & it was touch & go as to whether or not she would live, many years ago)
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2014, 03:46 PM
I have had both dogs and bitches. The bitches have been spayed purely for convenience. None of the dogs have been castrated and none of them have had any problems that castrating would have changed.

Is Pippa spayed?
Jacsicle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-10-2014, 04:05 PM
Yes Pippa is spayed.

This is all very useful keep it coming!
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-10-2014, 10:45 PM
We haven't had our male basset castrated. He is 20 months old now and still have no plans to do it. This was initially because bassets can have problems with premature closure of their growth plates if they are castrated too soon and that can lead to bone deformities. He doesn't mark, hump or try to roam so we see no reason to do it now. He is a gentle loving hound and is great with our new pup, also male, there have been no problems with dominance, he is just too laid back!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2014, 07:50 AM
Personally I have had a mix of neutered and entire in the group that I had of seven and it does I think depend on training. If you decide on what is acceptable and not acceptable then a dog or bitch, whether it is entire or not can be well behaved in all situations. But that is my opinion others may differ.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2014, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I would only ever keep entire males & my bitches are all eventually spayed at sometime.

No medical reason for castrating males unless it has a problem, bitches can & do develop pyrometra regardless of whether they have had a litter so I would spay to prevent possible pyrometra especially in an older bitch(had to have a 10 1/2 year old emergency spayed when she developed a closed pyrometra & it was touch & go as to whether or not she would live, many years ago)
I agree with Joedee , I see no reason to neuter dogs but would always spay a bitch having lost a couple over the years with pyometra. I am not a fan of having blood dripping all over the place every 6 months and the problems associated with exercising an in season bitch either.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >