Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by cacoll View Post
Drinking water here is a nightmare and to be honest I keep Marco's bowl outside when the weather is dry as he regularly puts his two front paws in and splashes it all about, he's done this since before we got him......it's the only time you'd think he was a water dog
Haha Remus will only do that if it's new water in a strange place. He'd do it if I put water in the garden. Funny dogs.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
They sound great! I grew up with a bearded dog. She was very gentle and calm but when we were sitting at the dinner table she used to have a drink, go under the table and wipe her beard on our bare legs! We always seemed to have bare legs, getting wet dogs beards wiped on them, sticking to the Leatherette dining room chair cushions or getting scorched by the leatherette car interiors. It was the 70's lol.
Oh yes , legs are a favourite as are the covers on my sofa if I don't get there quick enough with the kitchen roll
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 02:23 AM
Boxers mouths are not designed for dainty drinking. However we have found asp solution which works reasonably well & is neat & tidy looking. The dog bowl is placed inside a large plastic washing up bowl, there is about 2" all around between it & the bowl & the plastic washing up bowl is taller all round than the water bowl by about 8". The drinking bowl in the pic looks small, it's not its one of the biggest metal dog dishes you can buy Everyone drinks from this bowl, cats included

PS that's not green algae, the bowl is cleaned twice a,day and replenished with fresh water each time.

Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 06:05 AM
Of course with hard tiles it isn't a problem to just wipe up. It's the wooden flooring that will get wet through a towel or non waterproof stuff. And I'd trip over anything that didn't lie flat!

I like the idea of the washing up bowl (as long as they don't 'tip it' to get to it!

My sis's staffy has a SS bowl as big as a washup bowl but she keeps it outside the conservatory and he goes out to drink. He will sometimes empty the whole bowl (noisily!) she said he doesnt' seem to know when to stop which is another reason not to keep it where he walks past it all the time.
defairmans
New Member!
Male 

07-10-2013, 11:42 AM
I thought it was only my dog that was a messy drinker! She drips all the way into the living room. It is interesting to see how dogs drink, but gathering the water into their tongue like a folded canoe and drawing it in. This allows for a lot of drippage, I guess.
OP, have you tried a bath mat?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Jade is messy like this, but Nigredo drinks very, very neatly. In her crate, she just has to deal with splashing water all over, because she's the one that has to lie in it. Needless to say, she's neater in there.

But for their normal water bowl (they share a huge bowl), I put a garbage bag under it and a towel under that. Helps quite a bit.

It's a bad idea to put something super absorbent directly under it as it will sour and smell mildewy after a bit unless you're able to constantly dry the thing.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Washing the towel daily means it doesn't do that at all. I just chuck it in with their bedding an it's all fragrantly fresh for them.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Washing the towel daily means it doesn't do that at all. I just chuck it in with their bedding an it's all fragrantly fresh for them.
You... wash their bedding daily? Really? Hmm, that's a new one. To each her own, I suppose.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Yes Mollie isn't as continent as she used to be so all bedding including ours is washed daily. Doesn't take long with a washing machine and a tumble drier and keeps everything nice I find. Was particularly needed recently with Betty being in season so long.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Yes Mollie isn't as continent as she used to be so all bedding including ours is washed daily. Doesn't take long with a washing machine and a tumble drier and keeps everything nice I find. Was particularly needed recently with Betty being in season so long.
I see. Makes more sense now. I assume it doesn't take long, however running the machine each day like that does IMO waste lots of energy. I'd never be able to do that.

Understandably if the stuff gets messy, you have to wash it, but I'd likely put some plastic or something easily wiped rather than waste all that power machine washing everything daily.

Thankfully for me, Jade barely bleeds when in season (sometimes doesn't at all, just swells a bit in that area) and only comes into season once a year... maybe twice in her old age. Otherwise, I'd have her spayed.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »