Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
Hahaha... sometimes we teach them things and have noooo idea how lol love it
Geez,maybe I should bring out a book
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I've never made any dog wait until I say they can eat before they can touch their food. But also haven't ever had a dog that tries to eat it before I get the bowl onto the floor (or the meat onto the mat)!

Is this some sort of hierarchy thing - making them wait to eat until you say they can? Or to show you are pack leader or the dominant one or what?
its manners, simple as that

marley waits until i tell him he can eat, even when hungry he will wait, he has learnt that if he has to wait longer than normal it means somthing extra is going to be dropped ontop his meal,

we have 5 collies on the farm now their bowls are put about 15ft from their respective kennels and they dont move until the word "chow" is spoken, because if they dont start eating at the same time they wont finish at the same time and fights would break out

even my cat knows not to dive in to his meals, he waits until i have left his feeding area, i cant stand cats that almost push you out the way
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I've never made any dog wait until I say they can eat before they can touch their food. But also haven't ever had a dog that tries to eat it before I get the bowl onto the floor (or the meat onto the mat)!

Is this some sort of hierarchy thing - making them wait to eat until you say they can? Or to show you are pack leader or the dominant one or what?
Mine are all taught to wait..but as they get older I don't tend to do it. It's just another little bit of training which is all good for your relationship with them. I have tried to always say "take it" with Remus when I give him any food, and get the girls to do it too...the theory being that they won't snatch food because they know it's not theirs until they hear "take it"
IceCody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-09-2013, 10:18 PM
I make the dogs wait untill all three bowls are on the floor but that is only cause I only have two hands and I put an oil in their dinner that is measured for each of them so they have to eat out of their own bowl.
I also have a game of each of them having to sit with a treat in front of them untill I tell each one of them to eat it. That is mostly done to prevent them from crowding me while giving them bones or treats or them trying to get it from each other.
Hiker
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-09-2013, 11:11 PM
My fella waits until he gets the "Go" command.
It wasn't my intention originally, but when he was young...as I was preparing food he would lie down behind me, causing me to trip over him.
So, I started to get him to sit and stay at the opposite end of the kitchen until I was ready. As he had mastered the "stay" command at this stage, when I put his food down he didn't move. So I had to give him a command to move to the food.
He now won't eat from his bowl until I say so. I don't see a problem with this, it's the only time he has manners.
Now, all I need to work on is his nose to crotch fetish with strangers.
ann854horse
New Member!
Female 

23-09-2013, 05:13 AM
I just make my dogs wait until the bowls are on the floor, and then two of them will usually eat when I say ok but the other two often will have to be encouraged to even taste it. The one Jack Russell and the one Cavalier seem not very interested in food only when they actually feel the need to eat rather than
Every day at feeding time whereas the other two woof it down with gusto. Often Milly the Cavalier will have hers later on with a bit of encouragement but Amy the other Jack will not eat if she is not hungry and it makes not difference what the food is. Polly (Jack Russell) and Zoe (Cavalier) who seem to always relish their food would be happy to help the other two out if allowed to but they will sit and wait patiently when told not to attempt to touch bowls other than their own (I must find out how to update my profile as it doesn't include the Cavaliers that we have had since last year having been without a Cavvie for two years I just had to have another as this is the breed we have had for over 30 years).
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Many thanks to those who understood me and did not blame or accuse me of trying to dominate my beloved Pereg.
Someone
New Member!
Female 

23-09-2013, 09:50 AM
With dog1, I taught her to sit and wait till I put her bowl on the floor and said "ok" for her to go eat (helps teach impulse control, especially for piggy puppies).

Then we got dog number 2 (as an adult dog), it was incredibly useful being able to have dog1 wait while sorting out dog2 (he came with issues). Then when dog2 got more confident we ran into trouble when he would leap around while his meal was being prepared and carried to his eating spot, this resulted in a couple of spills. He would also leap around and try to get dog1's food if I was putting it down first.

I could not put up with this so I bought the dogs a little mat each. They have to go and sit on their mats before I even start to prepare their meals. Then they sit there while I put down the bowls.
When I say "ok" they can both go to their bowl and eat. So it was started for practical reasons and makes breakfast/dinner time much calmer.

BUT, I'm actually even crueler than that!
I started to teach them to individually go to their bowl when I say their name (I'm so evil!). So sometimes I send both at once (by saying "ok"), sometimes dog1 goes to her bowl first (by saying her name) or sometimes dog2 (his name). Sometimes I take a deep breath and pause before sending either/both of them.
The reason I do this is to remind them to actually listen to commands (not anticipate) and also to strengthen dog1's "stay".
I do obedience with dog1 and I want her to stay even if the dog next to her breaks its stay, dinner time is good practice for her.

In saying that, I only make them wait for about 3seconds before I send them to their meal, 95% of the time I send them both at the same time. If I left the room they would both break, especially dog2 (he would break before I got halfway across the room and I haven't done "out of sight" stays with dog1 yet).

I don't believe in dominance stuff and I like the dogs to go through the door first, it makes it easier to turn around and shut it without dogs in the way

Summary: it has nothing to do with dominance, it started for entirely practical reasons and then extended to strengthen obedience training. I find it very useful for a multi-dog household.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Welcome to dogsey Someone
Cool name
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Someone View Post
...[snip]...
I don't believe in dominance stuff and I like the dogs to go through the door first, it makes it easier to turn around and shut it without dogs in the way
Unless I am going just across the road to the little shop without her, in which case Pereg knows to keep away until I am out and the door is closed and locked, she must always go through doors [I only have the one] or doorways [all interior doors having been removed for ease of chair access] in front of me.

That way I not only know where she is but to make sure that she does not get under my wheels, or, on the rare occasions I am on my crutches, knock me flying.

It is definitely not dominance on my part. It has always been a part of teaching a young puppy [she was approx 6 weeks old when I adopted her] how to act with a person who uses wheels instead of legs. I already had Little One when I adopted Pereg, and she also had to be taught to keep clear of wheels or crutches.

Little One always waited until her food bowl was down before eating - I did not have to teach her that, but Pereg, being one of five from a pregnant stray picked up by volunteers from the local voluntary shelter, took a long time to understand which was LO's bowl and food, and which was hers, even though I then fed them separately. LO was also such an easy pup to housetrain, Pereg came with explosive diarrhoea which lasted for nearly three weeks. And LO was healthy until she just went to sleep one night cuddled up to me and died.

Pereg is also 100% healthy - she just happens to be epileptic, and she needs her routine. And if her routine is that she does not eat until she looks at me and touches her nose to mine - frequently no words said, just sign language - and will not eat until I say so, or point, or make a sound/gesture, so what?

Does that mean I am being dominant and following CM?

No way.

I have posted before about asking Pereg to Sit and Stay in the middle of the salon floor, put tiny treats on each paw, down her tail, balanced on her head and nose, and said STAY - and she will not move until I say she can.

Is that dominance or is that just training a dog to do as they are told? I have also asked her to do a Sit and Stay while I throw tiny treats around, and she will not move until I tell her to.

Is that dominance or just basic training?

Because if that is dominance then how come everyone applauds dogs doing perfect obedience and other sorts of things? Nobody says their owners are being dominant, so why was I accused of being dominant towards my beloved Pereg?

Is the following demonstrating dominance or training? Most evenings Pereg gets her treats. Three tiny treats. They are actually very small bone-shaped biscuits which I break in half, so she has just three halves, ie one and a half little biscuit.

And she has to "work" for them as part of her ongoing training.

1 - she has to Sit and Stay in the kitchen while I come back into the salon, until I call her.

2 - she has to go into a proper Down and Stay until I call her.

3 - she has to sit, quietly and without asking, beside my chair, until she gets the third and last treat.

Is that wrong or is that part of training? And is it wrong to keep training as an ongoing thing or should it be forgotten when the dog has done it once?

Or maybe I really am CM in disguise after all and I have "ingrained" into my beloved Pereg so much that she is "afraid" to eat unless I tell her she can.

I love Pereg more than I have ever loved any of the many dogs I have owned in my life. That does not mean that I did not love them because I did, with all of my heart.

But Pereg is different. She is epileptic and needs me probably more than any other of my dogs ever did. And I love her more than I could ever explain, even more so because of her epilepsy and because I am fully aware that at my age and my stage of disability, she will be the last dog who will ever share my life. I live for her, and I know that she lives for, and, most importantly, because of me.

So being accused of using CM dominance training just because I forgot to turn round and tell my beloved Pereg that she could eat yesterday, has been like sticking red hot knives into me.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >