View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Children is different. That's waiting until everyone is sat down. That's normal. But would you make them wait AFTER everyone was sat down and the food was on their plate in front of them - and they had to wait for a word from you to start on it?
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 05:36 PM
It's nothing to do with Cesar or any of that crap of his. It's manners, impulse control and training.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Children is different. That's waiting until everyone is sat down. That's normal. But would you make them wait AFTER everyone was sat down and the food was on their plate in front of them - and they had to wait for a word from you to start on it?
Yup, its called Grace
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
Yup, its called Grace
If you say grace, yes. But that's not what I mean and I think you know that. I am talking about making them wait for no reason other than they must wait for your command to start. i.e. the 'wait' bit. Waiting for no other reason than you haven't 'said so' yet.

Anyway let's agree to disagree on this because I can see no reason whatsoever to make a dog sit and wait for its food after it has been put down.

And for a hungry dog to have that so ingrained in it that it will not even eat or touch the food even if you walk away and forget about it unless the dog is afraid to.

That's my opinion.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Well I've been looking this up. Most sites I like say to make the dog sit and then put the bowl down so they can eat. Not to make the dog wait after that until you give the command.

But I have found it now on the beloved C. Millan list of things you should do to make sure your dog knows who is the dominant one. Along with never allowing the dog to enter a doorway ahead of you and a load of other old rubbish (IMHO)
I do not "make" Pereg wait. We have a routine. I put the bowl down, she looks at me, touches my nose with hers, and then she eats. I do not make her wait. She likes her routine, same as she likes her routine and mantra when we go to bed before she goes to where she normally sleeps on the bed.

I just FORGOT the routine today. That is all. And I am NOT a CM fan so please do not compare what I do with my dog to what he does with other dogs.

And do not forget one thing. Pereg is epileptic and likes routines. And her routine is not to eat until she looks at me and touches my nose with hers.

What on earth is wrong with that?

I just bdooly FORGOT today. I do apologise if it offended you.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-09-2013, 05:48 PM
And for a hungry dog to have that so ingrained in it that it will not even eat or touch the food even if you walk away and forget about it unless the dog is afraid to.

That's my opinion.
My dog is NOT afraid and I did NOT walk away from her. I just turned my back on her, less than a metre away from her.

I did not teach her the routine either.

How DARE you imply that my dog is afraid to eat because I have somehow ingrained it into her not to eat.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 06:05 PM
I really dont see what you're getting at Tang. You think we're being cruel to teach our dogs to wait for permission to eat? I'll say it again, its impulse control, and manners. Mine have it... mostly lol

And no, my dogs would dive right in if I left the room. They don't have that strong of a wait lol. I've never considered it necessary to do more than a 5 or 10 second wait.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Ooo you meany! Mine wouldn't wait..they'd presume I'd forgotten and go for it anyway.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
I really dont see what you're getting at Tang. You think we're being cruel to teach our dogs to wait for permission to eat? I'll say it again, its impulse control, and manners. Mine have it... mostly lol

And no, my dogs would dive right in if I left the room. They don't have that strong of a wait lol. I've never considered it necessary to do more than a 5 or 10 second wait.
Sara,mine wouldn't dive right in if I left the room and I swear I never did any training with her to make her wait for her food,she just does it,but with me only.Then again she does lots of things different with me,doesn't really listen much to anyone else in the house.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Sara,mine wouldn't dive right in if I left the room and I swear I never did any training with her to make her wait for her food,she just does it,but with me only.Then again she does lots of things different with me,doesn't really listen much to anyone else in the house.
Hahaha... sometimes we teach them things and have noooo idea how lol love it
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >