Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 03:54 PM

Revamping consent forms

(right lets try again!)

My consent forms go out in august for the year and I have just been tweaking them a bit to accomodate my clients at the moment

I just wondered what you guys thought of them and if there is anything that ive missed out or that you think I havent covered!!

These are the details I require -

OWNER
Full name and address
Work/home/mobile number and which is best to contact on in case of emergency
Alternative contact details for someone in case of emergency (essentialy doggy next of kin)
Vet details, address and telephone number and what name animal is registered under

DOG(S)
Name
Neutered (after a year I do not take entire dogs but its just for the records)
Microchipped (And number if they want)
Vaccinated (and when they were last done/ due next)
Off lead permission
Any allergies/food intolerances
Treats allowed to be given?
Are they allowed to swim?
Any behavioural issues/ things to keep an eye on
Any ongoing medical issues/history of injury
Any thing they are NOT allowed to do or have
Any specific comands to use

I cant help feel that im missing something, obviously after that is the signature and all of that.

Would love to know what you guys think!!
[/LIST]
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Pawsonboard View Post
(right lets try again!)

My consent forms go out in august for the year and I have just been tweaking them a bit to accomodate my clients at the moment

I just wondered what you guys thought of them and if there is anything that ive missed out or that you think I havent covered!!

These are the details I require -

OWNER
Full name and address
Work/home/mobile number and which is best to contact on in case of emergency
Alternative contact details for someone in case of emergency (essentialy doggy next of kin)
Vet details, address and telephone number and what name animal is registered under

DOG(S)
Name
Neutered (after a year I do not take entire dogs but its just for the records)
Microchipped (And number if they want)
Vaccinated (and when they were last done/ due next)
Off lead permission
Any allergies/food intolerances
Treats allowed to be given?
Are they allowed to swim?
Any behavioural issues/ things to keep an eye on
Any ongoing medical issues/history of injury
Any thing they are NOT allowed to do or have
Any specific comands to use

I cant help feel that im missing something, obviously after that is the signature and all of that.

Would love to know what you guys think!!
[/LIST]

You mention Microchip but not Tattoo, some dogs will have one OR the other, some may have both.

Have you got emergency kennels sorted out should lone owner drop dead? Yours or their choice.

I see you have not mentioned the requirement for the dog to wear a legally compliant tag.

I would list Kennel Cough separately from other vaccinations as not all dogs have this, and this could influence some of your decisions?

I would also ask for separate listing for Lepto if you are allowing them to swim etc.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
You mention Microchip but not Tattoo, some dogs will have one OR the other, some may have both.

Have you got emergency kennels sorted out should lone owner drop dead? Yours or their choice.

I see you have not mentioned the requirement for the dog to wear a legally compliant tag.

I would list Kennel Cough separately from other vaccinations as not all dogs have this, and this could influence some of your decisions?

I would also ask for separate listing for Lepto if you are allowing them to swim etc.
I hadnt even thought of emergeny kennels or that kind of stuff, do you mean would I sort the dog untill other arrangements could be found?

All my lot wear a tag and if they havent got their own then they have a second collar with my details on it and my vets. My vets know this so will let me know should the unthinkable happen and the dog turned up there.

I dont require kennel cough vaccine for the insurance so I didnt put it on but do you think it would be a good idea to ask that they have the vaccine, its about 50/50 for those with the KC vaccine as some of my lot go into kennels so have it for that.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 04:30 PM
I hadnt even thought of emergeny kennels or that kind of stuff, do you mean would I sort the dog untill other arrangements could be found?

All my lot wear a tag and if they havent got their own then they have a second collar with my details on it and my vets. My vets know this so will let me know should the unthinkable happen and the dog turned up there.

I dont require kennel cough vaccine for the insurance so I didnt put it on but do you think it would be a good idea to ask that they have the vaccine, its about 50/50 for those with the KC vaccine as some of my lot go into kennels so have it for that.

Well personally I would have an arrangement with at least one kennel if not three that in force majeure they could take a dog whose owner who had dropped dead during the interim of the event and the close family being able to sort something out otherwise what will happen to that dog?

Will you be taking it home?

I was thinking of KC knowledge as of course you would need to know for your own and other clients.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well personally I would have an arrangement with at least one kennel if not three that in force majeure they could take a dog whose owner who had dropped dead during the interim of the event and the close family being able to sort something out otherwise what will happen to that dog?

Will you be taking it home?

I was thinking of KC knowledge as of course you would need to know for your own and other clients.
okay, thankyou for that. I think I might give the kennels i recomend a call and see if we can work out something, but yes if it came to it the dog would come home with me. Roxie gets on fine with all of them so it wouldnt be an issue. All the ones I can think of this being a possible, however very unlikely, situation the dog would be fine here as a tempory visitor untill something permenant could be arranged.

I think i might get roxie vaccinated against kennel cough this month. Mind you when we did have the outbreak at the beggining of last year it worked out ok with the infected dogs not going in the car or anything so it wasnt too bad.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 09:31 PM
You might also want to consider consent to take the dog to their vet or yours, depending how urgent the situation is, and their agreement to pay any bill arising. It can also be a good idea for them to agree this arrangement with their own vet before they leave, if they are going to be away.

Signed agreement to pay agreed fees when due and agreement to your terms and conditions generally e.g cancellation period/cancellation fees, deposits etc.

Acceptance of risk of lost or injury or even death, so long as you are exercising reasonable care at all times (spats, accidents and unforseen events including dogs being suddenly panicked can occur and even sudden, unforseen deaths can occur with undiagnosed medical conditions, all factors beyond your control).

If appropriate, written consent to their dogs mixing with other dogs from different households (including your own) that you may have at the same time (which of course wouldn't negate your responsibility to take reasonable care in those circumstances).

Hopefully none of these things will ever occur but better to be able to prove you gained informed consent, should the worst happen.

Written confirmation that their dog doesn't have any aggressive tendencies under any circumstances.

Remember to have it dated as well as signed and you may want them to state in what capacity they are signing, owner, custodian etc.

Remember you need someone over 18 to sign, so be careful if a child or teenager hands you the dog.

I assume you have professional liability, care, custody and control and third party insurance cover? You might even need hire and reward insurance for your vehicle if you are operating a pet taxi, particularly if you take the owner too, or professional use cover for your vehicle, if you transport paying dogs in it.

You might also want to check if their dog is covered for third party liability although that might exclude when under professional care, when the carer might be reasonably expected to have their own cover

Just a few suggestions.

Taking on responsibility for someone's beloved living breathing, independently-minded family member is not something to be undertaken lightly.

One of my dogs was recently hospitalised, the consent form clauses ran to about 1.5 A4 pages!
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
You might also want to consider consent to take the dog to their vet or yours, depending how urgent the situation is, and their agreement to pay any bill arising. It can also be a good idea for them to agree this arrangement with their own vet before they leave, if they are going to be away.

All the dogs I have are at one of 3 vets, including my vets and all 3 know me well. I have a page long contract that all the clients have to read through and sign which states that they are happy for me to take their dog to their vet or in the event of that not being possible, to my vet. It also states that they will pay for all fees!!

Signed agreement to pay agreed fees when due and agreement to your terms and conditions generally e.g cancellation period/cancellation fees, deposits etc.

Yup all in the contract, (I really should have said that at the begining lol)

Acceptance of risk of lost or injury or even death, so long as you are exercising reasonable care at all times (spats, accidents and unforseen events including dogs being suddenly panicked can occur and even sudden, unforseen deaths can occur with undiagnosed medical conditions, all factors beyond your control).

If appropriate, written consent to their dogs mixing with other dogs from different households (including your own) that you may have at the same time (which of course wouldn't negate your responsibility to take reasonable care in those circumstances).

Hopefully none of these things will ever occur but better to be able to prove you gained informed consent, should the worst happen.

Written confirmation that their dog doesn't have any aggressive tendencies under any circumstances.

Yeah i have a bit at the end of the contract that says all information about there dog is correct at the time of signing. I also dont take on agressive dogs unless its on a private walk basis as I havent finnished my course on dog agression so dont feel comfortable putting myself or the dog / other dogs in that position yet. Id rather air on the side of caution than have an incident!!

Remember to have it dated as well as signed and you may want them to state in what capacity they are signing, owner, custodian etc.

I insist on meeting the owner/owners and having them sign it

Remember you need someone over 18 to sign, so be careful if a child or teenager hands you the dog.

I assume you have professional liability, care, custody and control and third party insurance cover? You might even need hire and reward insurance for your vehicle if you are operating a pet taxi, particularly if you take the owner too, or professional use cover for your vehicle, if you transport paying dogs in it.

Yup all the insurance is in place and my car is covered for proffesional use as pet transporter just incase.

You might also want to check if their dog is covered for third party liability although that might exclude when under professional care, when the carer might be reasonably expected to have their own cover

Just a few suggestions.

Taking on responsibility for someone's beloved living breathing, independently-minded family member is not something to be undertaken lightly.

One of my dogs was recently hospitalised, the consent form clauses ran to about 1.5 A4 pages!
Thankyou tass, this is what I was hoping to get back feedback wise, I take my job so seriously as I know how i would be if someone was taking roxie out for me! I have very close contact with my clients as I dont take as many dogs as some companies. Id rather have a smaller, loyal client base and built myself a fault free reputation rather than be 'that dogwalker with the pack of 50 dogs that dont listen ' lol. Take today for example, Ive got 6 dogs, but I know that I can give each of those dogs a good walk and match them with others that they enjoy the company with, and vice versa. But thats how I love running my buisness. I have a waiting list for regular spaces!!! so that must say something!

Thankyou for taking the time to read through this
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 10:06 AM
why do you not take uneutered dogs?
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Thankyou tass, this is what I was hoping to get back feedback wise, I take my job so seriously as I know how i would be if someone was taking roxie out for me! I have very close contact with my clients as I dont take as many dogs as some companies. Id rather have a smaller, loyal client base and built myself a fault free reputation rather than be 'that dogwalker with the pack of 50 dogs that dont listen ' lol. Take today for example, Ive got 6 dogs, but I know that I can give each of those dogs a good walk and match them with others that they enjoy the company with, and vice versa. But thats how I love running my buisness. I have a waiting list for regular spaces!!! so that must say something!

Thankyou for taking the time to read through this
Looks like you're got it pretty well covered then. Good luck with your business