Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Jenn~n~Luke View Post
Oh I agree with you...I'm not saying that one should not try their best to work through whatever problems their dog might have. That doesn't mean that if you have a dog who is reactive, that you stand there and allow them to totally freak out at another dog, etc.

I know a woman, who is really good with dogs. She owns a pitbull...not her first one either. From the day she got that pup, she tried EVERYTHING she could think of to socialize him and help him to be ok with other dogs and pets. Once in a while he'd be fine, other times, out of the blue...WAMMO...fight to the death.
Some how you seem to have understood what I am trying to say, I'm not the best at explaining myself, I tend to ramble on too. But nether the less, I think the quote summons it up.
If you have tried your best to modify the behaviour of your dog, so that he/she can have the best quality of life you can provide, and time and time again it fails, what choice do you have but to try deal with the behaviour you are presented with and ensure that everyone (dogs and people) are safe. It is all about doing what is best for the individual dog, as long as the dog is happy I'm happy
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 07:37 AM
This is an interesting article.

http://www.apbc.org.uk/articles/dog-aggression-FAQs
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
This is an interesting article.

http://www.apbc.org.uk/articles/dog-aggression-FAQs
I agree! Very interesting, and nothing I would fault.
Just out of curiosity do you agree with all said SB? Very much interested in your opinion as I am sure are many others.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Very good article! And exactly what my belief is! Dogs can be born more prone to DA, but something has to trigger the aggression.

the bit about competition is fascinating, and explains why some dogs resource guard seemingly naturally, without any outside influence.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Thank you so much for sharing this link! I'm going to snag it because it is REALLY great info. I want to learn more about dog signals and how to tell if Luke will react to a certain dog before it happens. It's hard though because when two dogs get together they're both moving around so fast it's hard to watch for these little signals and see them in time or at all, atleast for me because I can't seem to pick up on much until it's gone to the growl stage.
I like how the article states that neutering does not solve aggression....so many people think if they neuter their dog all of the behavioral problems will just magically dissapear, and it's just not true. I wish it were lol...I wish Luke would all of the sudden go back to loving ALL dogs male and female after he got snipped but I know that wont' happen most likely.
nickynockynoono
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Jenn, you may be interested in a book by Turrid Rugaas, "On Talking Terms With Dogs"

or go to her website

http://www.canis.no/rugaas/

Dog body language is really fascinating once you know what to look out for. I often notice our dogs using calming signals now, such as turning their heads away to say "I'm not a threat." Lovely.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by nickynockynoono View Post
Jenn, you may be interested in a book by Turrid Rugaas, "On Talking Terms With Dogs"

or go to her website

http://www.canis.no/rugaas/

Dog body language is really fascinating once you know what to look out for. I often notice our dogs using calming signals now, such as turning their heads away to say "I'm not a threat." Lovely.
I had this book but sold it on my e-bay site recently. I found it very interesting and I could see my male Kerry using calming signals with other dogs after reading this as he is very socially skilled with other dogs and does the approaching in an arc, sniffing and looking away behaviour.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2011, 01:21 AM
Thanks guys..I will definitely see if I can get ahold of that. I've been reading more about this stuff onlne and watching videos on youtube..pictures too, but like I said everything happens so fast its hard to pinpoint each and every movement or sign.
I want to learn more though for sure..so I'll see what I can find.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5