View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 02:25 PM

Coat loss and weight loss since neutering?

Hi

My NI Quinn was neutered about 2 or 3 months ago. He has been shedding like mad since (as has my other NI) so has been brushed most days. Anyway his coat seems dead thin now and seems to have patches where the fur is really short??

I took him to the vets yesterday too and got him weighed and he has put on 3kg since his op BUT he looks really skinny and boney round his back end??

Any ideas on why?

Thanks x
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 02:52 PM
have you had him tested for hypothyroidism? it will cause hair loss and weight gain. My Springer had it.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Kristina View Post
Hi

My NI Quinn was neutered about 2 or 3 months ago. He has been shedding like mad since (as has my other NI) so has been brushed most days. Anyway his coat seems dead thin now and seems to have patches where the fur is really short??

I took him to the vets yesterday too and got him weighed and he has put on 3kg since his op BUT he looks really skinny and boney round his back end??

Any ideas on why?

Thanks x
hi,
all of my dogs have had very long moults this year,sibes and im sure n.i's lose bodycondition if they have a severe one, (sounds like this is the case)dont overgroom him.also in certain breeds the undercoat can change when neutered(does your n.i have collie in its backgound ?as this is one of the most affected breeds)if hes on good quality food the condition will come back with time(i would be more concerned about a 3kg weight gain on a large breed dog)
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-07-2009, 03:41 PM
What did the vet say? With both dogs having the same problems, I doubt it is the neutering, which i never heard of causing a problem.

If he is truly too thin, go ahead and feed him more if he will eat it. Any guidelines you have should only be used as a starting point.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 03:49 PM
An anesthetic will very often cause a dog to have a big moult afterwards. When I used to show Rough Collies, if one had to have an anesthetic for something you could rule them out of a show for a while afterwards.
We used to add Vitapet to thier feed which really helped the coat come back quicker.
He more than likely looks thinner because of the hair loss, not because he is actually thinner.
I'm sure its nothing to worry about and just down to the anesthetic.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks guys some excellent food for thought there. I will let you know how we get on! x