Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2009, 09:16 AM

Big scaredy cat dog!

Hi any ideas on this one.
My boy has suddenly become scared of lots of new things. Hes nearly six he has always lived with us he was born into my hands as we have his mother.
We rescued her she had a bad start with lots of abuse and will flinch at sudden moves but only the vac truely scares her these days. Hes never been scared of much now hes running away from the vac wont go through doors without a fuss or shoots through. Hes screaming and running for his life if you move your feet near him (cross uncross legs!). Hes never had so much as a tap off anyone ever if you say the word naughty hes very upset!
I am certain no one has harmed him he is totally spoiled and is with me most of the time. I just dont get it.
How can i help him to get over whatever has gone off in his head? Thankyou
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 09:34 AM
I think I would get him checked over by the vet - if he has pain somewhere (from arthritis, say) he will be more sensitive. It may be a good idea to ignore his reactions for a while and see if it lessens the behaviour as he may be enjoying the fussing.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 09:44 AM
C&D beat me to it, but I was going to suggest vet check. Also get them to check his eyes and ears.

Otherwise its possible that you have inadvertently encouraged this behaviour if he has been fussed for being scared at any point.

With mine I've found that laughing when they act like this helps - they seem to realise when I laugh that there is nothing to worry about and that I'm telling them to stop being a wuss. Can't say whether it would work for all dogs though (I know some are actually sensitive about being laughed at!)
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm by no means an expert but when I read your post I wondered if maybe he has lost some peripheral vision so suddenly things seem to be jumping out at him? Does that sound plausible? But as the other's say it sounds like he needs to be checked over by the vet.

Let us know how he gets on,

J