Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 06:43 PM

Protein/Fibre in foods?

Do puppies need a high/low percentage of fibre and protein in their food?
I have a 5 and half month old collie pup if that makes a difference.
Thanks in advance guys x
nellie_dean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Depends on who you talk to!
Some experts prefer a lower amount of protein for a growing dog so that they don't put too much muscle mass on growing joints (to avoid problems later in life) but the majority of puppy foods are fairly high in protein, so I guess the jury is out on that!
Fibre - not sure but I think it's fairly standardised on commercial foods, more variable if you are feeding raw
darby
New Member!
Male 

16-04-2009, 08:12 PM
I use Red Mills Leader Puppy for my pup. When I spoke to the rep for Red Mills he stressed how important it was to have my pup on puppy food as it has a higher level of protein. Leader Puppy has 30% protein with 2% fibre.

Leader Adult has only 20% protein in comparsion.

On the www.dogfoodanalysis.com website it gives a top rating to Orijen dog food including the Orijen puppy food. This has 42% protein because it has a high meat content and is grainless. But the website has a warning saying that this food might not be suitable for puppies - the reason why they say that is because they are covering themselves. In another part of the website they say some vets argue that high protein is NOT good for a puppy but at the same time they say other vets disagree with this! So its inconclusive.

As for fibre I am not sure either. Its 2% in Leader puppy. I notice Pedigree Complete puppy is 2% aswell.

Hope this helps.
codymorse
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2009, 12:24 AM
I think with a collie it depends what you are going to be doing. We feed all ours that are working obedience quite a high protein as we want them really uppey. But the retired ones get fed lower protein. I would have thought for a 6 month old dog then a protein level of about 20% for a average pet dog would be fine

Ann
Bessy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2009, 05:54 AM
Hi

take a look at this study www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/protein.html

I feed my dogs Orijen and raw -so plenty of protein and very little carb / fibre and no grain. I have large breed that have been weaned on this routine with no growth isues at all. There are other factors such as over exercising that influence a puppies growth.

I also have a couple of crossbreeds, who are quite active.

The dogs are all healthy and fit.

I don't give supplements and they all do really well.

Hope this helps