View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Absolutely not - course, you get people claiming 'accidental' litters with vague promises to hip score afterwards ... bit late then.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 09:37 PM
There is no excuse for not hip scoring and/or elbow scoring if it is required in the breed, several studies in Europe have proved that if you consistently breed from dogs/bitches well under the BMS then over a few generations you will reduce the BMS.
It isnt only the sire/dam etc you need to take into account it is also their sibblings etc. also some dogs even though they have acceptable scores are known for producing high scores, if the progeny are not tested you wont know what individual dogs/bitches are producing high scores and which ones not to introduce into your lines.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Its a disgrace not to hip score breeds that should be, stinks of a bad breeder!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2009, 10:00 PM
I'd like to make all breed relative health tests mandatory. I don't see why you wouldn't.

We made a the mistake of assuming that because Woody was KC registered, as were the breeders, that his parents would have been health screened and they weren't. I only hope and pray we don't have to regret that later in life.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 08:44 AM
No no no.
Although saying that I bought a lab that had parents and ancestors with fabulous scores an earlier repeat mating had produced pups that all went on to have excellent hip scores and my lad by 6 months was hopping lame with hip dysplasia, yet Shady (Rottie x GSD) very badly bred no hipscores everdone on parents or ancestors has perfect hips (I had her x-rayed to check them).
So although I think it is important it doesn't mean the resulting pups will be ok.
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I'd like to make all breed relative health tests mandatory. I don't see why you wouldn't.

We made a the mistake of assuming that because Woody was KC registered, as were the breeders, that his parents would have been health screened and they weren't. I only hope and pray we don't have to regret that later in life.
Totally agree, just wish KC would stop registering non tested dogs.

I've tested Loona for hypothyroidism, not something required by the breed clubs, but a condition I am concerned about that seems to crop up too frequently in the breed, and the person who owns the dog I plan to use has agreed to do the same. She is also hip scored and eye tested clear.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
I cant see why there would be any valid excuse not to hip score... So no
Except in an area like this - you can only go to the vet for this, and you find that the vet assistant has no idea what you're talking about. Even now, I have only a vague idea of what it is!

Snorri
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Humm....I have just quite happily travelled 100 miles for a consultation with a vet who knows what he is talking about....for a one off thing like hip scoring, if I had to, I would happily travel at least twice as far.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 07:36 PM
theres no excuse for not doing it in my opinion!

as others have said its a one off thing so cost/travel/time etc. should not come into it!

if you want to breed do the tests!
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I do a 120 mile round journey for hip and elbow scoring under sedation, even though my vet is competent to do xrays for the BVA he uses GA.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >