Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lianne1983
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-10-2010, 05:33 PM

Do dogs know a childs a child?

Ok, so Joe is a rescue with many issues - everything frightens him. He's never been socialized with anything or anyone from what we can gather. He's worse with dogs but he's very wary of people and can take a while to 'come round' to them, if at all. He will bark and growl at them if they're strangers that come to the house. Even when he knows them he will jump up, sometimes will bark depending on who it is.
But with kids, he never jumps up or barks at them. We've had children round from 2-11years and he happily plays with them with his toys, doesn't bark, jump up or anything.
My bf's mate came round the other night and Joe jumped up him barking and he's seen him before but today he brought his 3 year old round and Joe jumped up and barked at the bloke. The little girl came in and Joe sniffed her and when she gave him a treat he took it very gently. For hours this afternoon he's had her running around making noise and he's done nothing but play with her and follow her around

Do dogs know the difference between a child and an adult?
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2010, 05:38 PM
I think they know the difference between young and mature. Young are seen as less of a threat. Tilly is so gentle with children but a bit crazy when it comes to meeting adults. She's had kids come up to her at shows at throw themselves around her. If an adult did this, she'd go crazy and be all over them but with children she sits and gently takes it. I dont think its just people, I think they're like it with their own species. My old boy Max was dog aggressive and would start a fight at the drop of a hat but when I bought Tilly home as an 8 week old pup, she could climb all over him and be sooooooo annoying but he never once hurt her. He would sit and take whatever she threw at him. It really showed his gentle side.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2010, 05:47 PM
I agree with Tillymint. Cherry is dog reactive but she is so gentle with puppies. We were at the vets and there was a huge Great Dane puppy and she hates big dogs but she must have realised it was still a puppy as she was sniffing noses and wagging her tail at it.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I agree with Tillymint. Cherry is dog reactive but she is so gentle with puppies. We were at the vets and there was a huge Great Dane puppy and she hates big dogs but she must have realised it was still a puppy as she was sniffing noses and wagging her tail at it.
I've changed my name then!
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
I think they know the difference between young and mature. Young are seen as less of a threat. Tilly is so gentle with children but a bit crazy when it comes to meeting adults. She's had kids come up to her at shows at throw themselves around her. If an adult did this, she'd go crazy and be all over them but with children she sits and gently takes it. I dont think its just people, I think they're like it with their own species. My old boy Max was dog aggressive and would start a fight at the drop of a hat but when I bought Tilly home as an 8 week old pup, she could climb all over him and be sooooooo annoying but he never once hurt her. He would sit and take whatever she threw at him. It really showed his gentle side.
Yep I agree with this too I have had DA dogs who have been so gentle around puppies.

I wonder if it is because children smell differently to adults? Or is it that they walk and talk differently? Who knows. All my dogs love children and are so soft around babies
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2010, 06:59 PM
oops sorry! wasn't paying attention was I?
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
oops sorry! wasn't paying attention was I?
Lol. Forgiven.
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2010, 07:56 PM
I've noticed this with Milo he's only 16 weeks but he loves children and will sit down when they stroke him and give them kisses. But with adults he goes mad!!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2010, 08:11 PM

I never said a word you can never have enough Tilly's though eh

In answer to the question though I think my Tilly knows the difference as she's very playful with children & not as wary as with adults - not that we come across many!
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post

I never said a word you can never have enough Tilly's though eh

In answer to the question though I think my Tilly knows the difference as she's very playful with children & not as wary as with adults - not that we come across many!
All the best dogs are called Tilly as we well know!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >