Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2010, 11:37 PM

Bad Taxi Driver!!

Getting a taxi home this evening from work got talking to driver as you do and we got onto the conversation of dogs. I mentioned i had my name down at a breeders for a SBT and he said he had a 6 month old blue SBT bitch to which i replied we were getting a male blue SBT

He showed me a picture of her and she was gorgeous names Tia! And told me he got her from a breeder in Lancaster and bought her for £1000. (This is with no health tests either)

Then i started to get annoyed as he said she's 6 months old at the moment and on her first heat... we have to wait until her next heat until we can breed from her.

I said she has to be at least two years old before breeding to which he replied nah it's one year and plus i don't want to wait until she's two you can have more litters that way.

I than sat quietly as not wanting to start an argument with this man who was driving me home. He started saying how he was going to breed her on every heat and every so often give her a 'break'. When i asked about health tests he replied 'oh yeah i'll take her to the vets' and then when i finally reached home and i got out of the car i very sarcastically said 'well happy breeding' and he replied 'oh yes money money money... £1000 a pup!'

I'm just sat here now thinking about that poor puppy and her future ahead of her being used as a breeding machine! So sad...
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2010, 12:30 AM
fook sake, what is wrong with people! £1000 and they will breed from her every season and have what 4plus puppies in each litter, surely there are not that many foolish, naive people in the world to pay that! and what is it with people thinking health tests are a quick check over by a vet do they really not care enough to resreach when buying a pup! Jeez how the heck did you keep your cool because i wouldnt have been able to, or i would have had to get out the car! Makes me sick to think of people breeding for money and whats worse is a load of stupied mugs out there will give them there money making the market for them to have another litter on the next season! The breeder of this pup should be damn right ashamed of his/her self for placing one of there pups into the hands of a money grabing, selfing, greedy 'thing'.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-05-2010, 12:52 AM
I was party to the very same conversation a few weeks back. I had Skye in the pub and a couple asked if he was OK to stroke - once they were fussing him the conversation led to dogs and guess what - Blue SBT's.

They were hell bent on breeding from the pair they had and took great delight in telling me all about the ££££ figures.

Unfortunately there's folk out there that don't care about breeding & will buy anything so (sadly) it's easy to see why people try their hand at selling pups.

As much as I hate to say this - it's a case of supply and demand.
karen&henry
New Member!
Female 

15-05-2010, 01:46 AM
How very sad to just use a poor Dog like that,he really does not deserve to own a dog,its a shame dogs could not be registered and checked on the amount of puppys they have,so many breeders are so cruel just to use there dogs to make money.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-05-2010, 07:44 AM
No point in trying to tell these peopel anything, all the ysee if £££ signs.

Use this approach next time.....

Oh, lovely dogs, Oh right you are breeding them, you do know that breding that colour to the same colour may bring out health problems...

How much are you charging Oh right, is that because you need to put it in reserve in case any health problems arise in the pups due to the colour of the parents, and the owners will come back for compensation???

Oh what, you dont know about the new law, that is in place, that states ALL breeders will have to take responsibility for ANY genetic health issues that crop up in the offsprings of their dogs... for a period of 3 yrs after sale??
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I was party to the very same conversation a few weeks back. I had Skye in the pub and a couple asked if he was OK to stroke - once they were fussing him the conversation led to dogs and guess what - Blue SBT's.

They were hell bent on breeding from the pair they had and took great delight in telling me all about the ££££ figures.

Unfortunately there's folk out there that don't care about breeding & will buy anything so (sadly) it's easy to see why people try their hand at selling pups.

As much as I hate to say this - it's a case of supply and demand.

And that's the nail on the head! Once upon a time blues were unusual - now they are ten a penny and still people want them. Not just staffs either. People are churning out litters of blue Whippets round my way too. I turned down two people recently who wanted to advertise their litters in my shop. The danger then is breeding two dilutes together, as these people have little idea what they are doing when it comes to breeding and colour genetics. Once this fascination with blue dogs starts to wane, another colour will probably be in vogue sadly.
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2010, 12:55 PM
If i had someone in the taxi with me i would have said something but it being 11:30pm and on my own and this man was driving me home i didn't really want to make him angry tbh.

I may try a more sarcastic approach next time if i see him again as i use that taxi service a lot!

I just felt so sorry for that poor dog she was such a beautiful little thing looked really happy and she doesn't know the reason she was bought just yet.

He would only be able to register 5 litters from her wouldn't he? And that's only once a year... or am i making that up?

Either way i've seen unregistered blue SBT's selling for £900 so i doubt it would stop him in any way.

If i was ever to breed SBT's using my blue male i wouldn't breed him to another blue (obviously this would be regarding he was fully health tested, temperment was amazing and he was doing well in something and i already have genuine interest in a littler) and i would charge the same amouth for say a red as i would for the blues in the litter. They would all be the same price regardless of colour/sex ect... even if there was a white in the litter he would cost just as much as the rest

I do feel so sorry for this dog he was boasting her dad was Jolson's Blue Boy and that would make the puppies worth more. I do notice when looking at blue SBT's for sale when looking for one ourself any with Jolson's Blue Boy in the line would cost several hundred more than any other litters.
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2010, 02:28 PM
I despair, I really do. My last visit to Battersea Dogs Home really summed it up. Almost all of the dogs up for re-home were Staffies.

I live in London, and sometimes you would think there was no other breed in existence.

They are beautiful, Loyal friendly dogs, and through no fault of there own are treated like a commodity.

The mind set of some people makes me so sad. I was approached by someone recently asking if I would be breeding my girl. Like, why have a bitch if you aren't going to have pups from her NO WAY EVER.

The Law needs to change, and it needs to start with people who indiscriminately breed for financial gain, but then thats another topic.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Aw isn't that just awful, grr the poor dog, i doubt it'll see much of the world or lead a very varied life

I wish breeders had to be registered, with really tough checks and regulations (as if the government could ever be that bothered )
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2010, 03:43 PM
That's so sad, the poor dog I just don't understand some people, what is the point of buying a dog just for it to push out litter after litter?

Originally Posted by Luchi View Post
The mind set of some people makes me so sad. I was approached by someone recently asking if I would be breeding my girl. Like, why have a bitch if you aren't going to have pups from her NO WAY EVER.
I have to say, that seems to be the mindset round here too. We were talking about dogs in the sixth form centre the other day & as soon as I mentioned Molly was being speyed next week, everyone was asking me why I was doing it, didn't I want a litter from her? When I mentioned about how there were so many dogs in rescues already & how I had no idea about her lineage and her health history everyone just looked dumbfounded... like why did any of that matter, I have an unspeyed bitch so surely I must plan to breed from her. I don't know how to explain it really. A lot of them know about rescues but they don't seem to realise how overflowing they are & how breeding their pets 'just because' has an impact on that.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >