View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Hope this makes things a bit clearer, I am questioning all aspects of KC membership, "I have two KC Staffords" and I am a member of a Stafford club commitee, I agree with many of Laura's findings, I know for my own dogs who are very fit, I look at some dogs being shown and their fitness level to me leaves a lot to be desired, If my dogs could choose they would rather be in a field or a wood roaming about, than forced to stand like a Statue for minutes on end for the only feet from another dog, which is certainly not natural for a Stafford.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 10:41 AM
I agree with Laura on this one. I have seen two breeders (who show) now, on with bassets and one with goldens.
The breeders keep many dogs. They keep them in kennels. They keep pups until they can 'see' if they are going to be show quaility. As someone said earler 'it defies logic' you cant TELL what a kind of a dog a 10 week pup is going to grow into - NOR can you tell what its health is going to be like.
I saw young dogs stuck in kennels, desperate for attention. i saw dogs matted with poo. They arent walked or looked after like we expect. They are taken the week before a show, and washed and brushed ten times over. Tell me any dog would rather be 'registered' and have to suffer most of the year barr one weekend when they are made to look and stand at their best. any dog would rather i am sure, choose a loving, family couch.
pete
Almost a Veteran

15-03-2005, 10:45 AM
hi jim what is the stafford club if you dont mind me askin and do you actually show your dogs.
pete
Almost a Veteran

15-03-2005, 10:51 AM
what is this a have a go at show people thread, jess that is terrible yes but ive seen just as bad from none show homes ,kc and none kc i work with a person who kennels his two mungrels in shed.another whos next door neighbours rotty is chained 24/7.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

15-03-2005, 11:41 AM
agree with Laura and housedog, I would like to see more healthy and better balanced staffs in the showring, its down to breeders, exhibitors and judges to make these changes though, no one else can reverse the worrying trend of overweight stuffy unfit dogs of a reduced size and stature, only by refusing to breed and exhibit these dogs, and by judges refusing to place them will the current tide of poor quality unhealthy dogs be turned back.

now theres a mammoth task - it is achievable though
pete
Almost a Veteran

15-03-2005, 12:00 PM
talking of chained dogs the worrying thing is i find that the number of irish staffy sites i have visited and all the dogs seemed to be chained is this the norm for these type of dogs to chained in the yard.edited to ad is this your idea of there fair share.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 12:11 PM
What is worrying about dogs on a chain set up? It is a perfectly reasonable way of keeping dogs, has been for years and most probably will continue to be not only in bull breeds. Do you think it would be less worrying if it were some other breed apart from a Stafford? As long as the dogs are well cared from I cant see a problem, it doesnt affect the dogs quality of life or alter their personality so where is the problem?

I dont think it is any more or less common than dogs being kept in kennels with large runs or house dogs it's just down to personal preference and issues such as space etc.

Laura
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Here we go...another anti show,anti KC reg,anti KC breeder.....Thought this board was freindly....yeah...unless you are pro KC reg show dogs cos they're all unfit,fat dogs kept in kennels and only allowed out to prance around a show ring.
pete
Almost a Veteran

15-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by Housedog
I would say that dogs in the fields or woods get at least an even share of the pleasure, for the life of me I don't see it in the show ring.
i dont see dogs being tied to a chain as getting an even share that is my point. altought i do show my dog but he does get his fair share in the woods and at parks is free to rome the house and the garden.and is in no way fat as arent all the peoples show dogs on here ive met ,neither were there dogs in there pedigree made to fight in the last 5 generations or do you here anyone showing boast about how there great great grand sire held a dog for 2 hours in a fight to me that is not a fare share.
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Well Laura , you are welcome to see my Rough Collies anyday beit in the show ring or running free in the fields, 3 times a day. They enjoy both , especially in the show ring. Jess why don't you quote some good about show dogs , my dogs live in doors as do alot of others.
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »