Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2014, 06:08 PM

Teachers

should teachers have the right to cane or smack like they did in my day.
Do children today have less respect because there is not a punishment .?
Do u feel the cane was just wrong to start with.
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2014, 06:35 PM
wow Vicky, where's that one coming from?

I've never had kids and generally don't tend to care for them if they are the sort that would warrant that type of discipline, , so I think I'll wisely stay out of this discussion
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2014, 06:46 PM
I was just wondering what ppl thoughts all .
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Well,they wouldn't have my permission to cane or smack mine.Neither got smacked by me or their dad.I'm not claiming to be parent of the year but if children are disciplined properly by the people who are responsible for them( their parents)its unlikely they would misbehave in school or anywhere else for that matter.
Totally against smacking a child.Was water off a ducks back to me growing up My mum would gave you a smack and then feel bad later.I'd get to stay up late that night
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Never ever would I give my consent to smacking or caning, no one has the right to hit a child in my eyes. It became illegal after I started 1st year of secondary school. I can remember being told by a deputy head that he wished he could cane me! I told him it was probably a good idea that he couldn't as I wouldn't allow it.
I'm not that happy with detention after school, but having worked in school I understand the need. But I hate violence against kids especially when it's adults doing it! My mum never hit me, I don't hit my kids. Never had a problem with mine nor have other people. I never caused any problems when I was younger either. I'm no angel either lol I'm not a perfect parent, don't think many are but I've done ok.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2014, 11:12 PM
Sadly in the state of Pennsylvania I believe it's still on the books that a parent can give permission for the school to use corporal punishment. But gads...my husband and sister in law both went to Catholic school before Vatican II and think they're still recovering from it to this day. From what they've related, there were nuns who felt they could beat the morality into their charges.

Who's to say that perhaps some of those women had no business being remotely around children never mind teaching.I had five children and always felt sending to their rooms and/or removing privileges was proper discipline. All hitting a child teaches them is that someone bigger than them can hurt them and they'd better make sure not to get caught next time. That's not a lesson, that's instilling fear.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2014, 11:37 PM
I went to a Catholic School,taught by nuns.Certainly wasn't for the faint hearted
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2014, 12:02 AM
Yep I still remember being scared to death of our head master .and staying after school don't do any good what's so ever. Reson I ask is a guy down our road was really yelling at his wife that if his son wasn't doing well at school as he had no respect for his teachers .and in his day bla bla bla .so I was wondering what other ppl thought. I must admit I hate anyone smacking there children.both my boys have left school now and I don't think they got in trouble once .
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2014, 02:34 AM
Oy, I don't want to speak ill of the deceased but my Mum in Law was famous for " If the nuns have to whack ya in school, you're getting it when you get home too!"...Me? I wouldn't have survived:0
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Shows how times have changed hasn't it.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >