Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2014, 06:24 PM

Men claiming that they have Post Natal Depression

This was on the news tonight, and I am stunned.

Post Natal Depression is a truly horrible condition, and is I believe caused by a hormone imbalance following pregnancy and labour - how dare these men claim to be suffering from the same thing just because there is a new child in the household and their wife is suffering to such an extent that normal life has been put on hold. Yes, I am sure that it must be a difficult time for them, but to make this claim is pathetic in my opinion - call it "new father in shock because wife is not capable of doing much at the moment", but please NOT PND.

My husband gave a male perspective on the story and felt that they should man up and support their wives rather than whine about their lot. He had no sympathy whatsoever.

What does anyone else think
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-05-2014, 06:34 PM
I don't think its possible for a man to have pnd is it ?
I think its more like their noses are out of joint that the attention has been taken away. Gorden was an excellent dad and took them over straight away for nappy changing and feeding and I think that helps a dad bond with his children doing those things instead of having a whine.
buglysprince
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2014, 06:45 PM
I think a new baby is a big change for everyone in a family, depression is often brought on by dramatic changes in our lives which a baby is. I have suffered post natal depression twice so know how hard it is and was lucky enough to have a very supportive husband. But depression in general shouldn't be underestimated. whatever you call it and for whatever reason it is brought on, sometimes there isn't one, it is equally debilatating. Men tend to get bit of a rough deal, and often suffer in silence because of the stigma and societys view as you said in your post "man up".
To sum up I don't think the use of PND for men is a problem because it is triggered after the birth of a baby and wether hormonally triggered or not is still equally debilatating
just my opinion
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Don't agree with the term to be attributed to men at all as imo it demeans the extraordinary affect of hormonal changes in women. Also reality hits after being put on a pedestal for 9 months reality bites.... not the blissful experience some would have you believe! I think SOME men struggle with not being no 1 priority and that is not PND
buglysprince
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2014, 07:03 PM
I think SOME men struggle with not being no 1 priority and that is not PND

Totally agree not depression, however I do feel men with real depression should not be overlooked
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-05-2014, 07:18 PM
I suffered with pnd after my second baby. My youngest son suffers with depression.
I do not think men can say they are suffering from pnd.
But men can suffer from depression.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2014, 07:19 PM
Big life changes can be a major factor in depression. PND is, of course, hormonally driven so not applicable to a new dad so it is an incorrect definition. However, it is possible for the new dad to become depressed due to the life changes that have occurred, just the same as losing a job, losing a lifestyle, losing someone close can trigger clinical depression
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Blokes! Huh!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2014, 08:10 PM
I am in no way saying that men cannot suffer from depression, of course they can and do.

If their wife is suicidal with PND and there is another new baby in the house then it is bound to be very difficult and stressful, but to say "hang on what about ME, I am suffering with PND too actually" makes me a little cross.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2014, 08:29 PM
I seem to recall reading somewhere in the past that some blokes reckon they get the labour pains too.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >