register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Grand National?
I think it should stay but changes need to be made 70 56.45%
I think it should stay with no changes 8 6.45%
I bet on it 16 12.90%
I don't bet on it 29 23.39%
I don't care one way or the other. 1 0.81%
I think it should be abolished 43 34.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 29 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2011, 04:21 PM
I presented you with a yougov poll that suggested most people want to see changes

It depends how you interpret it.

As you know, I love the GN. If it is a choice of either keeping it as it is, or abolishing it, I vote keep it.

However, if changes can be made that don't alter the basic nature of the race, and at the same time make it safer for horses and jockies, then that would be my vote.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
I think the first jump could possibly be easier, and perhaps with a longer run up. By half way round, I don't think the number of runners is a factor, as they are all strung out by then. It seems to me (no idea if this is correct), that far more fall at the first, and as they are all hitting it at roughly the same time, it can cause more problems to other riders?
Yes...there are a few jumps that are the most dangerous it seems (and I admit I am no expert). They are dangerous because of the sheer number of horses trying to jump at the same time.
A lot of horses are also exhausted by the end (including the winner this year).
I think that halfway round the number of runners isn't a factor as some have dropped out as well...or been killed.

There are changes that could be made to improve the safety for both the horses and of course the jockeys.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
I presented you with a yougov poll that suggested most people want to see changes

It depends how you interpret it.

As you know, I love the GN. If it is a choice of either keeping it as it is, or abolishing it, I vote keep it.

However, if changes can be made that don't alter the basic nature of the race, and at the same time make it safer for horses and jockies, then that would be my vote.
In the yougov poll I posted,only 17% of people wanted to keep the race as it is, meaning 83% of people wanted to change it in some way,that's a pretty staggering number.

Changes do need to be made.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-04-2011, 04:59 PM
I voted stay as it is.

The risks involved are negligable and there will always be injuries/deaths.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 05:18 PM
I voted abolish it.

The jockey that is so proud to have won the grand national this year should have an e collar on and be made to run around a race track in the heat and when he flags he should be zapped. That goes for anyone else who is banned for excessive use of a whip.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Yes, you've said that before Dawn. It would be nice to hear something actually constructive from you as frankly you saying that constantly is getting dull.
As I said on the other thread, I used to enjoy our debates, they were always healthy, interesting and thought provoking, despite the fact that we came at things from opposite ends of the spectrum. Sadly, your style seems to have changed. That's a real shame Dawn as I used to have totally differing opinions to you, yet have absolute respect for you.
You don't seem to be able to offer much to defend your arguments other than be patronising in the extreme and mocking people. That's a real shame.
I dont have an argument for you, I REALLY do love the Grand National and I REALLY dont care if anyone else doesnt.

All you have done is choose ONE day in a year to roll out all this rubbish, if you really cared you would be campaigning all year round, so the next one may not happen! Im sorry Ailsa, if you want me to respect your opinion on a subject, please let that opinion be consistent and not only once a year. You cannot claim to care when you choose to ignore at all other times.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Voted for there to be changes made... yesterday's was not pleasant viewing, for me, at all...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I dont have an argument for you, I REALLY do love the Grand National and I REALLY dont care if anyone else doesnt.

All you have done is choose ONE day in a year to roll out all this rubbish, if you really cared you would be campaigning all year round, so the next one may not happen! Im sorry Ailsa, if you want me to respect your opinion on a subject, please let that opinion be consistent and not only once a year. You cannot claim to care when you choose to ignore at all other times.
People only listen at this time of year though Dawn.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
People only listen at this time of year though Dawn.
Im sorry, are you offering that as an excuse?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Petticoat View Post
Voted for there to be changes made... yesterday's was not pleasant viewing, for me, at all...
Yet you watched, knowing the possibilities. Gets a lot of folk like that.
Page 3 of 29 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »