View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 12:07 PM
I didn't charge any money for all the dogs I have rehomed, that was because most of them went to friends and to me, I wasn't interested in the money, I just wanted to make sure that they had excellent homes, I didn't even think about charging for them (plus several of mine are veterans now so may end up costing their new owners a fair bit in vet fees as they approach old age).

The lady that had Giddy did make a donation to English Setter Rescue, I hadn't asked her to but I thought that was quite a nice gesture and something I would probably have done.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post

YOUR not going to ask me are you.............. to difficult.
I know its difficult, that's why I thought it would be interesting to hear people's views as I still can't decide what the 'right' answer is.

Hopefully none of us will be in the position of being the one that has to rehome, though we may be one of those offering a home.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I didn't charge any money for all the dogs I have rehomed, that was because most of them went to friends and to me, I wasn't interested in the money, I just wanted to make sure they they had excellent homes, I didn't even think about charging for them (plus several of mine are veterans now so may end up costing their new owners a fair bit in vet fees as they approach old age).

The lady that had Giddy did make a donation to English Setter Rescue, I hadn't asked her to but I thought that was quite a nice gesture and something I would probably have done.
I think it's diff if the dogs are going to friends, more so if they are older dogs,
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I know its difficult, that's why I thought it would be interesting to hear people's views as I still can't decide what the 'right' answer is.

Hopefully none of us will be in the position of being the one that has to rehome, though we may be one of those offering a home.
I'd pay if I was doing the offer of a home.............gladly.

As for the other way round I'd got to home mine .....shudder, I would ask for money, but don't forget these three are priceless, so how much I'd ask........
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I think it's diff if the dogs are going to friends, more so if they are older dogs,
Absolutely. Where you are already certain of the potential owner's commitment to the dog, I can't see any good argument for asking for a payment.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I'd pay if I was doing the offer of a home.............gladly.

As for the other way round I'd got to home mine .....shudder, I would ask for money, but don't forget these three are priceless, so how much I'd ask........
Its so hard to answer that question,
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Absolutely. Where you are already certain of the potential owner's commitment to the dog, I can't see any good argument for asking for a payment.
My sentiments exactly, someone I know always charges for a rehome, usually after they have had several litters from it ...thats when they start to become a commodity item rather than a beloved pet, imo anyway.

I think, like in Shonas case, when a pup comes back then it is only right to charge a fair amount for the animal.

I'm pleased as punch with all the homes mine are now in, no amount of money would have made me happier, but I can understand that each case would need to be looked at on its own merits.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
My sentiments exactly, someone I know always charges for a rehome, usually after they have had several litters from it ...thats when they start to become a commodity item rather than a beloved pet, imo anyway.

I think, like in Shonas case, when a pup comes back then it is only right to charge a fair amount for the animal.

I'm pleased as punch with all the homes mine are now in, no amount of money would have made me happier, but I can understand that each case would need to be looked at on its own merits.
I almost think I've made my mind up and then examples (e.g like Shona's pup) make me change it again
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 12:29 PM
I almost think I've made my mind up and then examples (e.g like Shona's pup) make me change it again
Yup its a really hard one to answer, it really depends, eg as the breeder of the dog, If I sold a pup, then it had to come back as the dog couldnt be kept, If the people returning the pup did not get money back, what right have I to sell the pup on and make a second profit on that pup, the money would be rightfuly theres, - what I had spent keeping it,
Im lucky I havent had a sinario such as this, I turely hope I dont,
but I do think that the fact breeders take pups back, but no money changes hands, then the breeders re-sell the dog, is what keeps many people from taking the pup back to the breeder in the first place, so its not a route I would take,
thats just thrown another spanner in the work aint it
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
but I do think that the fact breeders take pups back, but no money changes hands, then the breeders re-sell the dog, is what keeps many people from taking the pup back to the breeder in the first place, so its not a route I would take,
thats just thrown another spanner in the work aint it
Crickey, that is another spanner I suppose in my original post I was thinking of adult dogs more than pups, but just shows you how nothing is ever simple.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >