Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 07:08 PM

Adolesence has arrived!!

My little baby seems to have charged into adolesence!

She is well behaved usually but yesterdays walk was rubbish and todays wasn't much better.

Yesterday i might well have been walking on my own for all i saw of her! She usually comes back the moment i call, and especially if i blow the whistle, because that means extra special treat! Well, recall has been very much in her own time over the last two days, as she has been too busy tearing through the undergrowth chasing " things!" She came hurteling back to me yesterday, and i was praising her as she came, until i realised she was actually just running past me and it was coincidence that i happended to be in the way!

Yesterday she topped the miserable walk off by rolling in fox poo- usually she stops if i say off....but she just did as much rolling as she could before i got to her.

On todays walk we took her somewhere she hasn't been before and hid when she didn't come back straight away......we watched her as she came wondering back after a while, spun in circles, ears back panicked trying to pick up our scent.

Funnily enough she stuck with us for the rest of the walk!

Who else is struggling their way through adolesence?!

p.s. she is on the sofa now sleeping like an angel!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Scrap that p.s. ..........she has started farting !! the little beasty!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Flynn has always been very well behaved and usually does things first time, with an instant recall (blow on the whistle and in a split second he's charging back full throttle) but just lately he's started to turn a deaf ear and do things in his own time.

He's 17 months now and pointers dont mature until they are 2/3 years old so I think he's going through a rebellious stage. Might have to start taking treats with me again (thought i'd gotten past that stage ages ago!)
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Flynn has always been very well behaved and usually does things first time, with an instant recall (blow on the whistle and in a split second he's charging back full throttle) but just lately he's started to turn a deaf ear and do things in his own time.

He's 17 months now and pointers dont mature until they are 2/3 years old so I think he's going through a rebellious stage. Might have to start taking treats with me again (thought i'd gotten past that stage ages ago!)
LOL - glad someone else is going through the same. Tonks is only 8 months old, but hormones are definately raging! She is swelling up and down and definately behaving differently. She told another dog off for the first time on the weekend - it was a 7 month old JRT that was leaping in her face and then rolling on the floor in front of her tripping her up. Tonks solved it by telling it off and lying on it!

I'm out with treats too, and am upping the treats and praise....even if i don't feel like it! I managed about 10 seconds off lead heel work today, just to get her a bit more focused on me.

We will come through this!!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Hurray for teenage dogs! Everytime we take a couple of steps backward and have a crappy walk I say ' This has got to be his last teenage phase!'. It's slowly getting better though.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Hurray for teenage dogs! Everytime we take a couple of steps backward and have a crappy walk I say ' This has got to be his last teenage phase!'. It's slowly getting better though.
It's so frustrating - and i suppose i am at the begining of the wedge!

How old is Loki?
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Oh the joys of teenagers!
It happened over night with my boy
I was like were's my lil puppy gone, It was like someone had swapped my pup with his tearaway twin!
And its still not over by any means!!!!!
Wouldnt swap him for 10 million big ones tho...Im a slave for punishment me!!!!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Yes, I know it well.

Beau is now 9 mnths, his recall was always great if there were no dogs around but in the last few weeks he has been straying further and taking longer to come back

We have started to call him Kevin
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Yes, I know it well.

Beau is now 9 mnths, his recall was always great if there were no dogs around but in the last few weeks he has been straying further and taking longer to come back

We have started to call him Kevin
If Beau is Kevin then Tonks must be turning into Vikki Pollard!

Luckily Tonks' recal around other dogs is still fine....touch wood!!!
deez
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 08:34 PM
oh ive def got a teenager- selective hearing, answering back(well wooing back), and has even decided to start peeing in the house again! not today -touch wood!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >