View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Oh that's just ridiculous, how can they warrant £16 for a farm bred chicken!!!??? £6 or £7 yes, but £16???!!! NO way! I might search around for other local farm shops outside my area who deliver, it's about time they got some recognition perhaps. I'm definitely going to turn off the auto pilot to Sainsbury's now though, I'm going to shop around a bit more.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I've just had to fill my car with petrol. I paid 120.9 a litre - my little Polo cost £46 to fill.

Unbelievable!

I definitely find myself now trying to justify everything I buy - a sad state of affairs really
Is it though? I mean should we not be justifying everything we buy, rather than buying down to pure greed?

Not picking on you Vicki (or saying that you're greedy! ), but I have thought for a while that things have been getting a bit out of control these last few years. Buying cos we want, rather than cos we need if you get me?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 06:07 AM
Know where you're coming from Emma - you could well be right. Perhaps this is our punishment.....

Pity I need the car, really....

I'm going to try Aldi next week - there's one not far from here. It might help bring the food bill down
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 06:23 AM
I filled up the car yesterday, petrol had gone down to £110.09.
Freezer is still full anyway, cos im not eating properly at the mo!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 06:24 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I filled up the car yesterday, petrol had gone down to £110.09.
Freezer is still full anyway, cos im not eating properly at the mo!
Hev - you're too slim...... (not jealous, honest) - try to eat something honey xxxx
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Is it though? I mean should we not be justifying everything we buy, rather than buying down to pure greed?

Not picking on you Vicki (or saying that you're greedy! ), but I have thought for a while that things have been getting a bit out of control these last few years. Buying cos we want, rather than cos we need if you get me?
I see your point, Gordon brown(bit rich coming from mr 8 courses) said not so long ago we should try and stop wasting food as each person wastes such and such an amount.
Now It yeah I bet some do but me when I go shopping I will buy food I know I will eat for the next week so its hardly ever I through food out.

Another thing people make the mistake is buying a large item of food becuase it works out cheaper, not if it doesnt get used it doesnt.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Last week my gas direct debit rose from £35 a month to £44 a month.

Today, deep joy, my electricity direct debit rose from £45 a month to £62 a month.

I spoke (moaned) to the bods at nPower, and was told it's actually going to get worse. Then in the car on the radio I heard that Powergen are raising their gas and electricity prices 17% and 22% respectively.

It's grim........
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 10:21 AM
ON the local news last night, it was announced that EDF Enery were making their 2nd increase since January, and that householders would now be spending 10% of their entire income on utilities!!! They also said by the end of this year, the AVERAGE, household bills for gas and electric would be £1400!!!! I remember only 3 or 4 years ago my gas bill was £300 a year and my electric about £400!, so that'll be double then!

I certainly don't waste my money on things considered to be "greed", those days went many years ago, it's always been the case for me when picking up any item, I always ask myself "do I really NEED it" and if I DO, then I look around the shelf for the best value, not the cheapest, but I look at the amount in the container and compare each of the items, and I've always done that, Virgo's are very thrifty peops!

Food I need, petrol I need, household stuff I need, shoes I don't need, but I buy them anyways!
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 08:02 PM
This is a good thread, good to know we are all in the same boat, thought Cumbria the worst for prices but now not sure. Gordon Brown should shop at Asda, recently bought their brand of olive oil spread, it went green well before sell by date too, bag of potatoes had mouldy ones in, their brand of sugar puffs all stick tog after two weeks even closing bag well etc, grr so no choice but to throw stuff aaway making buying their own brand dearer!!! Too far to return it too as we dont live close to any supermarket.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by petebren View Post
This is a good thread, good to know we are all in the same boat, thought Cumbria the worst for prices but now not sure. Gordon Brown should shop at Asda, recently bought their brand of olive oil spread, it went green well before sell by date too, bag of potatoes had mouldy ones in, their brand of sugar puffs all stick tog after two weeks even closing bag well etc, grr so no choice but to throw stuff aaway making buying their own brand dearer!!! Too far to return it too as we dont live close to any supermarket.
Gordon Brown should tittle off all together, but that's for another thread!
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >